Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Looking for ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for ideas

Hello, I drive a 1992 Caprice 305 TBI. I need ideas on what to do as far cleaning up and somewhat modifying this car and engine.

Here's some pictures...

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Do a impala SS conversion for looks, the 305 should be replaced with a 4 barrel carbed 350 engine with vortec heads and a small cam, full length headers, a small stall to help get her rolling and you will have a decent daily driver that runs good and looks great.

Z
Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Definitely would like the SS wheels and lower it a lil. As far as a carb goes, I would prefer to keep it fuel injection. Thanks for the input. Any help on finding parts?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out turbocity.com They deal with TBI alot. Because of the platform you are choosing there aren't many performance options. There was a cam crane made it was small but better than the stocker. If I remember right the lift of the stock 305 TBI cam barely makes it above .400 lift on the exhaust side.

You can get a set of vortec heads and get the TBI intake to match the vortec's and see if there is still a cam out there to be compatible with the TBI computer. The drawback here is the throttle body is your restriction.

Now you could convert the car to TPI and get a little better performance and a little more options. The torque would help move that big car. If it was me this is what I would do and then later upgrade to a 350 and switch the intake system for a holley stealthram. Goodluck with the car. You're also making me miss my 96 impala ss.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paint it black and white with some cop lights on the top of it and **** with people. Drive like 2 mph less than the speed limit everywhere you go, hahahahahahahahahahaha.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

^^^ Nah just paint it all black and put a couple of antennas on the back, then get the spotlight for the driver's door and look like an unmarked unit.

Then you will be able to cruise at 9o mph and not get stopped.

I thought about doing that to a crown vic so I can get to my local tracks quicker since they are a lil ride away.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Teching In

The was some sort of government vehicle down in south Georgia. Lol

But, back to the OP. I was thinking of switching to a TPS set up but I'm very limited on tools and knowledge. But thanks for the input.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 305Chevy
The was some sort of government vehicle down in south Georgia. Lol

But, back to the OP. I was thinking of switching to a TPS set up but I'm very limited on tools and knowledge. But thanks for the input.
I think you meant TPI, its ok we all type bad around here.

Swapping to it is relatively easy, just a lil time consuming. Its just a matter of bolting the intake down putting the harness in and computer. By the way the fuel pump in the tank would need to be changed. It doesn't have enough pressure.

Most of the guys on here can walk you thru it.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with a 350 and try to keep the fuel injection if possible. The small stall converter is a good idea also.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

stick a LS1 in that bad boy!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I think you meant TPI, its ok we all type bad around here.

Swapping to it is relatively easy, just a lil time consuming. Its just a matter of bolting the intake down putting the harness in and computer. By the way the fuel pump in the tank would need to be changed. It doesn't have enough pressure.

Most of the guys on here can walk you thru it.
Yeah, TPI. Long day. And swapping is what I'd eventually want to do. But this is my main ride right now. Also I have no garage or shop to work out of...

Thanks for you in put.

Originally Posted by supermouse4
I would go with a 350 and try to keep the fuel injection if possible. The small stall converter is a good idea also.
I'm thinking LT or LQ. Definitely a small block either way. Oh and a stall and trans brake

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
stick a LS1 in that bad boy!
Good idea. But I've seen WAY to many LS1 swaps. But still very tempting
Old 02-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Any more ideas?

Bumping complete.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

LT1!!!, get one out of a caddy or roadmaster for cheap, rebuild it and you will be satisfied
Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by supermouse4
if the guy stays with the TBI it's best to stick with the stock converter. they make gobs of low end torque due to the head design. they make no high rpm hp though.

Quick Reply: Looking for ideas