Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

solid motor mount?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solid motor mount?

I'm almost done with my twin turbo t/a and realized that I need solid motor mounts. The turbos sit almost against the frame and there is no room for the motor to flex without causing damage. I have a BMR k member that has the motor stands. Does anyone make a solid mount to work with this or am I SOL?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:34 PM
9 Second Club

Maybe I should have posted this in another section?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Not familiar with the BMR k member but does it accept stock style mounts? If so, you can get some from Spohn.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey fast bird ,I would (maybe)? just think about putting poly mounts in your ride as us APS guys have the same problem with our passanger side tubo being up against the frame rail. APS recomends (and you can check it out under F body installion guide under the APS site) what you bend that frame lip in some (towards the tire) for added clearance and use their supplyed poly mounts. My turbo is maybe a 1/8th or 3/16ths away from my frame rail now with the (bent in lip)and has never hit yet with the poly engine mounts in! Just a thought ,as a solid mount would transfeer ALOT of, if any vibration that you may have from the engine, tranny, and exhaust into your whole car

Last edited by barnat; 01-06-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

The way the ebay kit is routed, poly mounts would melt on the driver side. I have the header, crossover and downpipe surrounding it on 3 sides. I dont mind the vibration, itll just add to the driving experience. The gf is going to hate it lol
Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by barnat
Hey extreme,I would maybe just think about putting poly mounts in as us APS guys have the same problem with our passanger side tubo being up against the frame rail. APS recomends (and you can check it out under F body installion guide under the APS site) what you bend that frame lip in some (towards the tire) and use their supplyed poly mounts. My turbo is maybe a 1/8th or 3/16ths away from my frame rail (bent in lip)and has never hit yet with the poly engine mounts in! Just a thought ,as a solid mount would transfeer ALOT of, if any vibration that you may have into your whole car
That may be my only choice to go with poly mounts. As far as I have researched there aren't any solid mounts that work with a BMR k member. BTW my turbos are up front and above the frame rails and if they move more than a 1/2" there will be serious problems. I feel like an idiot for not seeing this before!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:00 PM
9 Second Club

This will see limited street time so vibration isn't a huge issue.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1fast bird
This will see limited street time so vibration isn't a huge issue.

My bad guys ,,,,geeze,,, I just saw where he said the poly mounts will melt !Maybe Lee from BMR would weld in some solid mounts for you if you were to call him and ask? Ask for Lee alone,, as the other guys there aint as cool about K member modds as Lee is
Youde probably have to get a set of spoon mounts and have em welded on your BMR or ,,,may have to just buy a solid mount K member?

Last edited by barnat; 01-06-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

could always use some of the accessory holes on the front of the motor to make a bracket and bolt it to the frame, keep the motor mounts youve got and limit the movement elsewhere
Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Coal Mining Director

If the BMR motor stands will take the stress of a solid mount, just take your factory mounts to a shop and have them welded/braced together to make a solid steel mount.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onfire
If the BMR motor stands will take the stress of a solid mount, just take your factory mounts to a shop and have them welded/braced together to make a solid steel mount.
This actually sounds better yet! As there would be no alighnment issues as there would be if welding in new stands or perches on this K member. Youde almost have to put it back into somekind of OEM (BMR) jig to weld on new perches IMO
Old 01-08-2010, 01:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
One of my concerns is if the stands will take the stress of a solid mount. Especially leaving on the trans brake and the sudden shock it creates. I'm wondering if I should get a motor plate and have it welded in instead.....
Old 01-08-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1fast bird
One of my concerns is if the stands will take the stress of a solid mount. Especially leaving on the trans brake and the sudden shock it creates. I'm wondering if I should get a motor plate and have it welded in instead.....
Yea,,,If your leaving the line like that? That BMR may not be for you . Even a UMI with welded on mounts may be more in order or like you said ,,,a motor plate?

Last edited by barnat; 01-08-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could not find anyone that made them. I melted 3 sets of poly mounts. One of my friends ended up making me a set. I will tell you that it isn't just a bolt and go endeavour. The poly mounts have alot of play where the solids have none. This makes other things more difficult to do like pulling out the transmission as the motor/trans assembly doesn't sag when you drop the crossmember. No significant ride vibration in my setup. Just to answer before I get any PM's, no, my friend will not make another set. It looks simple but it's not and not worth the effort for him. Call or PM Josh@KYTP. He is making a set for Steve and may be willing to make more.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

I am still up in the air about the solid motor mounts. I have messed with a couple diffrent designs. Neigther of which I am happy with enogh to sell them.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@KY-Turbo
I am still up in the air about the solid motor mounts. I have messed with a couple diffrent designs. Neigther of which I am happy with enogh to sell them.
I don't blame ya. What we came up with wasnt pretty but it works so far. Looks like a door hinge welded to a metal plate.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Josh@KY-Turbo
Actually Josh this is one of your early twin kits. I think I'm the 3rd owner of this kit..... Do you think I should run a solid mount since the turbos are over top of the frame in front?????
Old 01-09-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is there anyway to sqeeze one of those heat sheilds in there that like came with the APS! There kinda like a metal reflector type sheild that they recomended to install on the starters for us APS guys
Old 01-09-2010, 12:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I did was take a stock motor mount and had a shop make a set of solid mounts unsing the stock mounts as a template. Works great!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i pulled off some of the aluminum heatshield where the stock exhaust used to be, and made a shield to wrap around my poly mounts... ive only had it this way wor about a month but it works so far. i also have the ebay kit which kills the motor mounts. if that ends up not working im just going to weld the poly mounts and turn it into a solid puck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: solid motor mount?