Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical problem need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default electrical problem need help

i just recently did a m6 swap my car has been running fine for about a week without a tune. all of a sudden tonight it starts up and idles really low to about 400rpms and then jumps back up. i didnt think anything about it, while i was driving my lights would flicker and the dash kept reseting itself but the engine seemed strong still. when i got home i tried to start it right back up and none of the lights would come on. i tried it about a hour later and it fired right back up and still did the low rpms so i didnt try to drive it. what could be causing this. alternator, battery, automatic tune for manual car, or voltage regulator for alternator(i think this is what its called). thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar problem!

I've had a similar problem ongoing for about a year now. Sometimes when I just start the car ('99 Trans Am, all stock w/ LS1) it'll keep going down below 500rpm, the radio frequently resets (which is not cool because now the CD tray won't open) and the lights go crazy. About two months ago I was driving home and stopped at Wendy's to eat. When I tried to start my car again, no-go. I called a friend and tried to jump it, but the only way it'd start was to push start it. I had to push start it again the next day, and then after that not even the push start will get it running.

A co-worker said that his buddy's Camaro had similar problems and replacing the ECM fixed it. Any ideas? Are our problems related?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Default Fix

Just forgot to subscribe
Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

i took the alternator off and got it checked at autozone it passed. what else could it be?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Teching In

I think it could be the ECM, but I'm not sure. I wanna hear what others think before I go buy a $90 part.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Banned

Install the correct calibration and a Clutch Switch