Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

I'm looking for a shop in Nashville to do some work on an LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default I'm looking for a shop in Nashville to do some work on an LS1

I just bought a 2001 Camaro Z28
has about 91,000 miles on it...
I believe it may need a new oil pump...
so I'm just gonna have a shop swap it to a ported ls6 pump

just need to know if theres somewhere good in Nashville for me to go to that wont cost me an arm and a leg

I have plans to do a cam and heads later...but thats a few months away and I want to get the pump now.

I would do it myself...but I dont have a garage or the tools anymore.

would also gladly pay somebody to do the work for me if you are up for it and have some proof that you know what you are doing..LOL
Old 01-09-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

contact Kyle aka silverstreak04 Kyle does a ton of work for the local GTO / Mustang / Camaro guys.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can do it pretty reasonable!

Originally Posted by tom's2005gto
contact Kyle aka silverstreak04 Kyle does a ton of work for the local GTO / Mustang / Camaro guys.
Never heard of him, where does he work?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also never heard of him(Silverstreak), but I can vouch for James(ztwentyatyou). He does pretty good work!!!
Tim
Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 PM
8 Second Club

I'm looking for shops...not individuals...
a guy from a memphis shop contacted me...but if I can do it here in nashville that would be a lot better..

I'm planning on a cam install at the same time now...needs to be done in one day...show up in the morning...drive it off at night..
I'll do the tuning

same for a clutch install and possibly longtubes/exhaust

I would do all the work myself...but when you dont have the garage, or the time...and I'm willing to pay a shop to do it for me(so I have a pro install that will be responsible if they accidentally screw something up).

and I no longer need the pump...figures out the issue...but its still going to get swapped when I install the cam

also going to do a Supercharger later in the year as well...
Old 01-19-2010, 05:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two shops:

dbr high performance
carma performance
Old 01-26-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Two shops:

dbr high performance
carma performance
Dang Tim, I figured you would plug Tatershack. to the OP save yourself ALOT of cash and and let ZTwentyAteU or Tatershack do it they will do you a good job and save a ton
just my .02
Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm planning on a cam install at the same time now...needs to be done in one day...show up in the morning...drive it off at night..
I'll do the tuning

same for a clutch install and possibly longtubes/exhaust
So you're wanting a clutch, longtubes, catback, and cam installed in one day? That's not really reasonable IMO. Especially if you're getting fancy with the valvetrain and need extra time to set up geometry.

I always tell people 2 days on cam installs. It's not necessary to rush, and I like taking my time to make sure every thing is triple checked, and the valvetrain is set up properly. And FWIW, I've fixed a ton of "one day" cam installs.

Spectacle is the only shop I know of in Tenn so I guess I'll throw a shout out to them for the work.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:50 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
So you're wanting a clutch, longtubes, catback, and cam installed in one day? That's not really reasonable IMO. Especially if you're getting fancy with the valvetrain and need extra time to set up geometry.

I always tell people 2 days on cam installs. It's not necessary to rush, and I like taking my time to make sure every thing is triple checked, and the valvetrain is set up properly. And FWIW, I've fixed a ton of "one day" cam installs.

Spectacle is the only shop I know of in Tenn so I guess I'll throw a shout out to them for the work.
actually I'll do my own headers/exhaust...
the clutch should not be an issue...its a 4 hour job...assuming one has the right tools...
and the cam should be done in 8 hours by a qualified/experienced shop

I'm not asking for all 3 on the same day... I'm asking for cam install day one...clutch install day two...
I'll probably do the exhaust install before I make the trip in for cam and clutch

one of the two mentioned above wanted $1200 and 16 hours minimum for a cam install...
all I can say is that a response like that comes from an inexperienced shop
not necessarily inexperienced in cam installs in general...but definitely inexperienced about how you do an ls1 fbody without having to pull the motor...
if I had the tools and a garage space out of the elements I would do it myself... its not a hard task...
I have a shop in memphis that I have talked to that will probably get my work done....425 for a cam install and they can get it done in one day(which is what I would need to happen with my very busy schedule with work right now.

and the reason I go for a shop is because if they mess up my motor somehow...they will replace the damage at no extra cost...
if some guy messes up my car in his garage at home...I may have to take some pretty drastic actions to get it fixed on his dime
and if its installed wrong by a shop...they have to fix it(or a court will make them)... installed wrong by a person at home and they can try to tell me tough luck

and FWIW... I have done a lot of cam installs as well...back when I lived in a place that had a garage....
and I usually did correct cam installs in about 8 hours...and tuning for the cam in about 4....

by the way.. the shop that contacted me that I'm most likely going to have do my installs....as you have just plugged... Spectacle
Old 02-05-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Look up Jerry Onks. He has a shop and I'm sure he can take care of you. His ship is just south of Nashville. VetteSport

http://www.vettesport.net/
Old 02-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Launching!

I would look into Carma also 615-730-8654. Alot of good things have come out of that shop.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Teching In

silverstreak04 did my cam swap on my 04 GTO in about 5 hours. We did it at a shop with a lift and everything else. The guy is a class act and is very good at what he does and is also fair about how much he charges.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:54 AM

Default Ls swap

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
I can do it pretty reasonable!

Never heard of him, where does he work?
Im in Nashville, i need someone that can do a proper ls swap at a reasonable price
Old 12-28-2017, 12:56 AM
Banned

well i know you said in Nashville but you also said something about Memphis so my vote is for Intune motorsports out of Charleston, TN. they do amazing work and Scott is by far the best tuner in TN imo

Quick Reply: I'm looking for a shop in Nashville to do some work on an LS1