Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR torque arm hitting trans tunnel

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default BMR torque arm hitting trans tunnel

Hey guys ran into a little snag today, hoping someone can help me out here.

Just bought a BMR adjustable full length torque arm along with a relocation crossmember (4L60E). This is going on a 2001 WS6, with a Moser 9" rearend BTW. The instant center adjustment on the front of torque arm is set at the 3rd hole up. The rear torque arm bolts are in the left most bolt holes if looking at the torque arm from the rear of the car.

The install went fine until I was finished and I go to looking at some things. I noticed that at ride height, the torque arm is touching (alot) along the transmission tunnel, drivers side. The torque arm is assembled the way I recieved it from BMR, and I have verified that the rearend is centered using my adjustable panhard bar. Is it possible that these torque arms arent made to be used with 9" rears? Surely not. Can anyone point me towards what could be going on?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems i've read you have to clearance the tunnel for the 9" setup.

my guess is BFH mod
Old 01-08-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the rear bracket on the TA, by 'left most' holes, do you mean the 'inner' ones or the outer ones? i have a moser 12, and BMR states that you need to use the inner holes to prevent it from banging in the tunnel. i had to trim my bracket to be able to use those holes.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im using the holes that will make the torque arm hug the center of the car tightest. the other holes would make this problem worse. unfortunately ive NEVER read about having to bfh with this setup, so ill be pretty upset if thats what this comes down to.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

edit* just talked to kyle at BMR. they are being very helpful about it and suggested that I try to slide the crossmember over to gain come clearance. unfortunately I dont think it will be far enough. still needing some help here guys. 9" users in particular....I think thats where I'm having the problem.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i figured it all out guys. everything was installed correctly but 9" rears just kick the torque arm a little farther toward the drivers side than other rears. with some gentle massaging of a 3 foot prybar, i have about a 1/2 inch clearance throughout....

SO if you have a 9", and want this torque arm but dont want to clearance a little bit I wouldn't recommend it.

HOWEVER, it was such a minimal snag, and such a minimal amount of clearancing to be done that I would still recommend this to anyone. its a very nice piece, and more often than not you have to make little changes along the way with any aftermarket part.

A+ for BMR's product and customer service!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Glad you got your problem sorted out. Just curious though, is your car lowered? Looks like it in your sig picture. If so, that could've been a major reason why your torque arm had clearance issues.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kc533
Glad you got your problem sorted out. Just curious though, is your car lowered? Looks like it in your sig picture. If so, that could've been a major reason why your torque arm had clearance issues.
just the heater hose mod in the rear...so maybe 3/4" lowered in the rear at most. at stock height i think itd still be a close call especially on a hard launch but would be better for sure.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Verses prying my BMR torqe arm over and away from my floor tunnel for it to line up with the BMR tunnel brace on mine S60 rear ,I just removed the solid eye ends from the (rear end) side of my BMR torqe arm and install a set of (swivel type) eye ends from my old Global west torqe arm (SAME SIZE) and it made it line up perfect with the BMR tunnel mount without having to bend or pry it over and away from the floor tunnel itself for it to alighn.
This also removed the stress in my torqe arm and eye ends that would have always been present if i would have stayed with the solid eye ends. Being the S60 center section is wider then a 10 or 12 bolt, it naturally moved the torqe arm over some towards the side of my floor tunnel some on my car because it wasnt desighned for the wider S60's and 9'' rears The swivel modd worked perfect for my S60 which has a (centered) center section). Im not sure how it would help on the off centered 9'' though
I have a brand new set of solid BMR torqe arm eye ends, if anybodys in need of a set LOL

Last edited by barnat; 01-10-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: BMR torque arm hitting trans tunnel