Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock cats on aftermarket ypipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock cats on aftermarket ypipe?

I am going to purchase a pair of kooks headers this month, I want a catted y to go with them. I don't mind paying a premium for a pair of headers, but there catted ypipes are very expensive. Could I buy an ORY and get my stock cats welded on? I am set on the kooks headers, so any answers or other suggestions on the ypipe would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:31 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

if your going to pay that much for headers and y pipe i wouldnt use any cats...especially your stock flowing cats !...but if im not mistaken i dont think the stock cats are 3 inch i think there 2 and something....but if you are gonna pay premium then you could have a tuner tune them out anyway...thats just my .02
Old 01-09-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

just buy some 3" thunderbolt cats, my car passed smog in california with them, cheapest out there. http://performance-curve.com/thunder...-metallic.aspx
Old 01-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hlaalu
just buy some 3" thunderbolt cats, my car passed smog in california with them, cheapest out there. http://performance-curve.com/thunder...-metallic.aspx
Those look great and are a very affordable alternitives to the stockers. I wonder how they affect exhaust tone. I perfer the more mellow tone cats seem to give.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bandit-00
Those look great and are a very affordable alternitives to the stockers. I wonder how they affect exhaust tone. I perfer the more mellow tone cats seem to give.
they eliminated the rasp. i had long tubes, these cats on a y pipe to a borla catback and i got compliments everywhere i went.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hlaalu
they eliminated the rasp. i had long tubes, these cats on a y pipe to a borla catback and i got compliments everywhere i went.
That's good to hear.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read that cats aren't too restrictive until you get up around 300 horse power and if you have two of them the stockers shouldn't hurt power too much, so besides sound is there much gains to be had from aftermarket ones?