Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best LT1 tuning options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best LT1 tuning options?

I wish to learn how to tune my cars. I just need to know what is the best equipment and software to use. I have an obd1 and an obd2 car, is there equipment that will tune both? Or do I need separate equipment for each (hope not). Thanks for the help -Chris
Old 01-10-2010, 04:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both use different hardware to tune. You can use LT1-Edit or Jet for the OBDII and tunercat for the OBDI. Or you can convert the OBDII to OBDI and use tunercat for both as there is no PCM lock (unlimited).
Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To restate: no, you cannot tune both with the same equipment.
For OBD-II there is LT1Edit and Jet DST, which is Tunercat for an OBD-II vehicle. LT1Edit is expensive and can tune up to 2 vehicles ONLY. Jet can tune an unlimited number, but at $100 per 2 vehicle license over the initial purchase (comes in 2 and 4 license versions). Each license is VIN locked.
For OBD-I, there is LT1Edit and Tunercat. LT1Edit has the same limitation, Tunercat is free to tune an unlimited number of vehicles.
LT1Edit is cumbersome, limited in its abilities, and extrememly poorly supported by carputing, the maker. Tunercat is much more flexible and is still supported by the maker. And yes, I own both.
Bear in mind, however, that neither is a tuning suite. They allow you to adjust parameters in the tune, download and upload to the PCM. For data collection and monitoring, you need additional items, such as Datamaster, Autotap, and a wideband. The wideband can be shared if you go with a portable, such as an Innovate LM-1.
The easiest way is to convert the OBD-II vehicle to OBD-I, then everything will be the same, but you will no longer be emissions-compliant. Just a thought.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont forget another option is going to the LS based computer conversion and using the tuning software availible to those computers. This conversion is done by elimination of opti and harness conversion. I think I am going that direction soon.

Quick Reply: Best LT1 tuning options?