Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering pump issue

Having a bit of an issue after a PS pump install....had to install a new high-pressure line due to the old one developing a leak, and I figured I might as well go ahead and replace the PS pump since I was going to be in there. Got the pump and line swapped out fine, but when I tried to refill and bleed the pump, it didn't want to cooperate. Filled the reservoir with the car off and the wheels up in the air, and did the steering cycles to start filling the lines....except it didn't. The PS reservoir just overflowed (even though I didn't have it completely full) during the turns, and didn't seem to pull any fluid down into the lines at all. Did that for about 10 minutes, then decided to run the engine for a couple seconds to see if that made a difference....pulled a tiny bit of fluid down into the lines, but didn't seem like a lot. Pulled both the high-pressure and low-pressure lines off the rack and pinion to make sure it was getting fluid (it was), then buttoned everything up and tried again. Still no success....checked for leaks, none, tight fittings, everything was good. Took the car for a quick trip around the neighborhood, and the pump isn't making any more noise than I've ever heard a PS pump make, but it doesn't feel like there's any power steering assist, and the reservoir was just as full after the trip as it was before.

Sort of out of ideas here. The pump sounds fine when turning (no whining or chattering), but it just doesn't feel like it's doing what it's supposed to be.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to leave the cap off of the reservoir and have the car running... turn the wheel from lock to lock a few times and that should cycle the fluid and get any air out of the system... fill or remove fluid as needed until it's at the right level then put the cap back on
Old 01-10-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I tried with both the cap on and off, and the car running and off. The car's been sitting for a few weeks, so maybe I'm just expecting the steering to be as light as what I've been driving since then, but I don't remember the T/A's steering ever seeming so heavy. Is it possible to get something like an air lock in the system?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Driven the car for about two days now and the PS system still feels funny...been checking the fluid level and it's always ok, although I have noticed that there's a lot of vacuum in the reservoir when I pull the fill cap off. Not sure if I should just pull the system apart and check for any sort of blockage.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

It is very possible to have it air locked. If you have access to some kind of vacuum pump that would fit in the reservoir I would throw that on it and see what happened. I have one at our shop... Its a snap on thats made for something else but it works pretty dang good for getting air out of power steering systems too.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing like that in the garage that I can think of off the top of my head. Is there any alternate way to bleed the lines other than using a vacuum pump?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

You might just try and start over again and see if you can get lucky this time seeing as you don't have a vacuum pump. This time when filling it though try doing it with the wheels cranked all the way to the right. It might circulate a little more fluid through the rack that way. Not saying it will work... It just seems like a logical attempt to me! Good luck man
Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

did you put on a cheap remanned pump?... maybe it's bad assuming everything is hooked up correctly... air will rise, so if you're turning the wheel from lock to lock with the cap off the ps reservoir, engine running, the air is going to find it's way out through the top of the reservoir and the fluid will go down until all the air is out... i have never had any problems doing it that way so i have no idea man
Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by neutron82
did you put on a cheap remanned pump?... maybe it's bad assuming everything is hooked up correctly... air will rise, so if you're turning the wheel from lock to lock with the cap off the ps reservoir, engine running, the air is going to find it's way out through the top of the reservoir and the fluid will go down until all the air is out... i have never had any problems doing it that way so i have no idea man
Just the normal Atsco reman one from Auto Zone...none of my local GM dealerships stock LS1 parts anymore since they're considered "vintage" parts, since the car is 10 years old now. I did get a couple of air bubbles right after I filled the reservoir, but the fluid level never really dropped at all after that, and then it started overflowing when turning the wheels.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
Having a bit of an issue after a PS pump install....had to install a new high-pressure line due to the old one developing a leak, and I figured I might as well go ahead and replace the PS pump since I was going to be in there. Got the pump and line swapped out fine, but when I tried to refill and bleed the pump, it didn't want to cooperate. Filled the reservoir with the car off and the wheels up in the air, and did the steering cycles to start filling the lines....except it didn't. The PS reservoir just overflowed (even though I didn't have it completely full) during the turns, and didn't seem to pull any fluid down into the lines at all. Did that for about 10 minutes, then decided to run the engine for a couple seconds to see if that made a difference....pulled a tiny bit of fluid down into the lines, but didn't seem like a lot. Pulled both the high-pressure and low-pressure lines off the rack and pinion to make sure it was getting fluid (it was), then buttoned everything up and tried again. Still no success....checked for leaks, none, tight fittings, everything was good. Took the car for a quick trip around the neighborhood, and the pump isn't making any more noise than I've ever heard a PS pump make, but it doesn't feel like there's any power steering assist, and the reservoir was just as full after the trip as it was before.

Sort of out of ideas here. The pump sounds fine when turning (no whining or chattering), but it just doesn't feel like it's doing what it's supposed to be.
I put new lines on mine and had no PS at all. My problem was the pump's internal relief valve decided to stick in the full open position and bypass all fluid back into the suction side. There was no known issue with this before the hoses were changed (hey, maybe you got the old pump I turned in? ) Pull the discharge fitting off and see where the valve is, should be right there. If you can stick your finger up in the cavity more than a half inch or so, the valve is jammed up in there.

Did you verify flow through this line? It could have been assembled wrong with the hose possibly collapsed. As a last resort, I'd disconnect the HP hose and run it into a bucket . Have someone start the car while you watch the fluid flow and reservoir level. If you're getting good flow, try pinching the hose some with a C-clamp and be sure you're still getting flow.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I put new lines on mine and had no PS at all. My problem was the pump's internal relief valve decided to stick in the full open position and bypass all fluid back into the suction side. There was no known issue with this before the hoses were changed (hey, maybe you got the old pump I turned in? ) Pull the discharge fitting off and see where the valve is, should be right there. If you can stick your finger up in the cavity more than a half inch or so, the valve is jammed up in there.

Did you verify flow through this line? It could have been assembled wrong with the hose possibly collapsed. As a last resort, I'd disconnect the HP hose and run it into a bucket . Have someone start the car while you watch the fluid flow and reservoir level. If you're getting good flow, try pinching the hose some with a C-clamp and be sure you're still getting flow.
I checked the flow at the rack side of the high-pressure line, and it was getting plenty of fluid flow and fluid drop in the reservoir (with the line disconnected, at least). Didn't think to try putting a load on it and check to see if it was still pushing fluid, though. I'll more than likely wind up pulling the new pump off, leaving the lines hooked up at the rack, and swap the old pump in (which I know works, although it's getting a bit noisy) and see what happens. I'll check the valve on the new one, though...the discharge fitting is where the high pressure line screws in?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, pull off the HP hose, then the discharge fitting. Then there'll be a valve with a spring behind it (use care here). Normally, you should be able to push up on the valve, the spring's not all that strong. If nothing comes out and it appears to be an open cavity, you'll prolly find the valve jammed up in there.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump issue