Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typhoon Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Typhoon Intake?

Anybody running a typhoon intake?If so what do you think of it?Do they take special fuel rails?
Old 01-10-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

don't know much about them except that they aren't of the best craftsmanship. heard they break easily.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

I have one on mine, havnt had any problems with it except the sucker weighs 35 lbs! They claim it is great for nitrous. They come with a set of fuel rails, witch look pretty cool. Half the price of a FAST.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

THe throttle body is the problem people have with it they tend to stick open a little every now and then.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...typhoon+intake

looks like i need to retract my previous statement. after reading through this it seems it is a quality intake for a good price. from what i read you would see more gains if you are replacing a stock ls1 intake than an ls6 intake. if you already have the ls6 intake i'd probably just keep that and get it ported. after reading that thread i may buy one myself. beats the hell out of 1200+ for a FAST combo.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I decided to go w/ the 85mm Typhoon w/ matching TB...have yet to run the car but cant wait.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

has anyone ported the 96mm to 100? is it possible?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just posted about the LS6 vs FAST. As I have had both. I needed to sell the FAST to free up cash and went back to the LS6.

The weight penalty alone will warrent the owner going to a tubular k member just to break even and factor in that cost, the Typhoon or even a BBK DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

If a person is having Nitrous back fires, then they are doing something wrong and prob broke something else so that who "strength" argument is for the intake itself, not the whole motor.

I still will argue heat soak and IAT's will be more harmful in the end.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i plan on getting a tubular kmember to begin with, so i'm not too worried about the extra weight or the k being an added expense.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I just posted about the LS6 vs FAST. As I have had both. I needed to sell the FAST to free up cash and went back to the LS6.

The weight penalty alone will warrent the owner going to a tubular k member just to break even and factor in that cost, the Typhoon or even a BBK DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

If a person is having Nitrous back fires, then they are doing something wrong and prob broke something else so that who "strength" argument is for the intake itself, not the whole motor.

I still will argue heat soak and IAT's will be more harmful in the end.
It might not make sence to you but some people just cant afford or want to spend a grand on an intake. Numerous guys have proven that heatsoak is bs at the track and if your worried about the extra 20 pds go on a diet.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

^ People who actually race know what 20 pounds mean. I take it you Rice From a Roll.....

But I can tell your jealous that I have a pallet loaded with 90/90 set ups and I am just rolling in the cash

Should I take you serious? He who has rattle can sprayed 98 Vette rims....

But going back to the debate. Plenty have made good power on a LS6, its affordible and plentiful, and flat out work.

Unless you CAN GET a BBK/Typhoon for like 100$, and persay self port your own TB, then there is no reason to go to that intake. Plain and simple.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^you make a lot of good points, i have yet to race my car(but plan to in the future) and didn't think how that 20lbs would effect a launch or a 60' time.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Internet Mechanic

^ When it comes to racing, its about weight transference and having that on the nose is counter productive. Having a lighter car makes things also less stressful on the parts and chassis.

All I can say for anyone is to stop by the Drag Racing Section, Ask a question like this and see what answers you get. There are guys there cutting out brackets that weigh in the Ounces but they are at that point where every little bit helps and they are not in a class where they are too light and have to add Ballast and if you did need to add weight, it be possibly on the passanger side, or the rear, NOT the nose.

To be completely honest, I need a set of drag rims and selling this puts me within 100$ of a new set of Pro Stars, to me thats going to gain better compared to a stock headed LS1 346. When it comes time for 400+ CID, then I will see what is out there.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

holy crap that junk weighs 35lbs!!! ok before i was able to see the fact that its a pretty nice looking intake but A. look at the weight...it is almost the weight a k-member SAVES you B. heat soak....nobody proved it but like guy said above...BUT im not going to take the chance. C. the square runners in the intake will flatten the rpm curve...its not too good a intake for screamers. **** you can fit almost three race batterys in the weight of this turd.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

Well now that you mention it, I want to address heat soak......

When it comes to race days, yes, the Air Quality will be what it is going to be. Not many dedicated racers are icing intakes, and pushing cars too the line so most deal with what ever the engine temp will read. most times cool down can be between 30mins to 2 hrs. BUT for most street/strip cars, your telling me IAT's are not affected by street driving and that on a hot day that the intake charge is NOT being affected by heat soak.... come on, get real.

I look at this situation is that the car is more street then strip and maybe the track #'s do not vary enough to make a signifigant difference, on the street, it def does because there is no "cool down" and cars on the ragged edge of a tune can push it too far.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

ha, i know...thats why i hate when people slap these 35 lb intakes on FI cars...iat's are super important on them cars. i just think its funny when you just compair these intakes to a cheap PROVEN ls6n intakes....then to think you can have a ls6 modded to come with in 5-7 hp of a fast just blows my mind that someone would wast money on that intake

well, i guess if you really want a show car then this intake is for you but in my case look at the sig. ill do it my way... but i have there fuel rails and i think a clean black ls6 or black fast looks amazing with red fuel rails like i got.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
It might not make sence to you but some people just cant afford or want to spend a grand on an intake. Numerous guys have proven that heatsoak is bs at the track and if your worried about the extra 20 pds go on a diet.
Every lb adds up, hell my car is stripped: no carpet, rear seats, interior panels, fog lights, washer fluid reservoir, horns, no catback etc. up next is the bumper crash supports, lift off glass hood and drag wheels. After ripping all that out why would I add weight? BTW Im 5'11 135lbs, cant really go on a diet
Old 01-12-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^lol its a poor excuse to justify buying a pretty looking intake...
Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ttranssam
well, i guess if you really want a show car then this intake is for you but in my case look at the sig. ill do it my way... but i have there fuel rails and i think a clean black ls6 or black fast looks amazing with red fuel rails like i got.
I just put mine on. I degreased it with Purple Power, and then got her looking pretty mint. A trick for show cars is to apply Tire Shine, I use Armor-all and it makes the intake look slick as glass!

Before (Pretty Grungy and had oil inside)

After (no shine on it but damn clean looking)

Old 01-12-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres mine....almost, its done now tho. hci and nitrous