Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Springs installed

Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano Springs installed

Finally got a chance to install the Strano springs on the car. Install was not bad. Front looks a little high than the rear hope it will go down after a few trips. Took it for a spin ride seem great not harsh as I was expecting. right now I have the Konis on front set to 3 from soft and the rear at one turn from soft. I will ride a few days to see how I like it and take it from there. But so for I like it where it's at. Will try to post pics tomorrow.

Last edited by cajunss; 01-10-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, it's great when you do it yourself, get the projects done, and they turn out well.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats about the settings i have. im a half turn from soft in the rear... car handles very well and the ride is not bad... the stance is perrrrfect
Old 01-11-2010, 06:10 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cajunss
Finally got a chance to install the Strano springs on the car. Install was not bad. Front looks a little high than the rear hope it will go down after a few trips. Took it for a spin ride seem great not harsh as I was expecting. right now I have the Konis on front set to 3 from soft and the rear at one turn from soft. I will ride a few days to see how I like it and take it from there. But so for I like it where it's at. Will try to post pics tomorrow.
do you have the rear isolators in, or the hose mod?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pjb
do you have the rear isolators in, or the hose mod?
rear isolators
Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Old 01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Before and after pictures
Attached Thumbnails Strano Springs installed-dsc07852.jpg   Strano Springs installed-dsc08304.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

looks good bro.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssam98
looks good bro.
Thanks man
Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

do you have the part number for the koni's and what site did you get them from? thanks car looks good. i have the strano spring on stock shocks.. thats my winter project to replace them with koni's just not sure what i need..

thanks again.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

That set it down so nicely. Went from nearly 4x4 height (just kidding stock height guys ) to a very nice attitude. Wheelwell gap looks soo much better.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BADTALS1
do you have the part number for the koni's and what site did you get them from? thanks car looks good. i have the strano spring on stock shocks.. thats my winter project to replace them with koni's just not sure what i need..

thanks again.
get them from Sam Strano
Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADTALS1

thanks again.
http://stranoparts.com/searchbymodel...D=20&ModelID=7

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:55 AM
On The Tree

Default update

Well I'm been riding around on different roads. Finally had a chance to go on the beltway here in Houston and any speed over 60 the ride is very ruff. If I ever have to mix a can of paint I will put the can in my car and take a drive on the beltway. Roads like 1960 are not bad. I might try turning down the front shocks a little more but I don't think that will help to much.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunss
Well I'm been riding around on different roads. Finally had a chance to go on the beltway here in Houston and any speed over 60 the ride is very ruff. If I ever have to mix a can of paint I will put the can in my car and take a drive on the beltway. Roads like 1960 are not bad. I might try turning down the front shocks a little more but I don't think that will help to much.
What do you have your tire pressure set at? And what is the aspect ratio of the tires you have? From the pics it looks like those are 18"s right?
If turning the rebound down doesn't help you any, try actually turning it up, I had my fronts set as low as 4 turns from full soft (6 turns from full hard) and didn't like the way it rode, personally I think it was rougher than a higher setting but maybe im just weird.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

JD is correct you need to first make sure you aren't doing what common because the stock suspension is so soft and sloppy and that's to run a higher tire pressure. That can wreck ride.

As for the shocks, changing settings can have a huge change on the ride. Most think that softer is better, but it can actually be worse. The Koni's have a huge range of adjustment in them so you can go from way to soft, to way to stiff meaning you could be underdamping the springs like stock and the frequency of the suspension movement teamed with the way the road blocks are can be at odds. You can do the same if you have the shock "too stiff" and pack the suspension down. Now, the thing is you could have damping that's not perfect on non-adjustable shocks too--at least here you have the ability to dial it in.

I have no idea where your shocks are set, that might be a good thing to know.

Could be lowering springs just aren't for you, they are after all stiffer and shorter than stock. But most folks find they ride better than stock in most situations with good shocks like you have so I do not think that's the case. I think you damping is just a bit off.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

I have 18" wheels with 275/35 front and 295/35 in the rear Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta Tires. Koni setting in the front are set to 3 turns from Soft. Rears are set to One turn from Soft. Air it tires are 30 PSI in front 32 in back.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok, a few things. Why more air in the rear than the front? The rear tires are bigger, and carry less weight, so the load per square inch is much less. The air is adding a lot of spring rate to the tire you don't need or want.

What shock settings have you played with? You are softer in front than I run, personally... and stiffer in the rear. I think the combination of the rear air and settings have the back too stiff relative to the front.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my personal experience on my car with the Koni 4/4, 1 sweep + from full soft in the back was too harsh for me. I keep the rears at full soft, and run 4 sweeps + from full soft in the front (I think that is right in the middle of their adjustment range). Granted, I don't daily drive the car, but the roads here aren't very good.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
From my personal experience on my car with the Koni 4/4, 1 sweep + from full soft in the back was too harsh for me. I keep the rears at full soft, and run 4 sweeps + from full soft in the front (I think that is right in the middle of their adjustment range). Granted, I don't daily drive the car, but the roads here aren't very good.

I will try these setting and see what happens. I will also let a little air out the back to make it 30 PSI

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strano Springs installed