General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000 Trans Am LS1 Stalls then Dies after WOT

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans Am LS1 Stalls then Dies after WOT

I have a 2000 LS1 that has been a very reliable car up to 120,000 miles. Just recently it has started to act up. I drive it maybe 2000 miles a year and place Stabil in the fuel during storage. When driving home the other night I went WOT in second or third gear and all of a sudden the engine began to die or diesel in a sense and the RPMs dropped to around 1000. When I attempted to give it gas again I had no throttle response and sounded like it was being flooded. I shut it off and attempted to restart the engine and it took a minute to fire again. It then drove fine until I went to WOT again and the previous occurance began again. The engine was warm and the only previous problem was stalling WOT in a hard turn. But that had only occured twice in a year or two. It has a new water pump, plugs, wires and full exhuast. I'm sure the o2 sensors need replaced but don't think they are contributing to these problems. It has been started and idled many times through-out this years winter storage with no problems. I would like to get this solved before the snow melts so if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mudvayne_03
I have a 2000 LS1 that has been a very reliable car up to 120,000 miles. Just recently it has started to act up. I drive it maybe 2000 miles a year and place Stabil in the fuel during storage. When driving home the other night I went WOT in second or third gear and all of a sudden the engine began to die or diesel in a sense and the RPMs dropped to around 1000. When I attempted to give it gas again I had no throttle response and sounded like it was being flooded. I shut it off and attempted to restart the engine and it took a minute to fire again. It then drove fine until I went to WOT again and the previous occurance began again. The engine was warm and the only previous problem was stalling WOT in a hard turn. But that had only occured twice in a year or two. It has a new water pump, plugs, wires and full exhuast. I'm sure the o2 sensors need replaced but don't think they are contributing to these problems. It has been started and idled many times through-out this years winter storage with no problems. I would like to get this solved before the snow melts so if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.
Crankshaft Position Sensor.....when failing......makes the engine act wierd like that.

Fuel pump...when going out will fall off when you go WOT.

I think you need a scan with an OBDII dealership type scanner so you can see whats going on while the engine is running.

A cheap fix is the Crank Shaft Position sensor. Just need to get the front end in the air, drop the starter and pop it in. If it doesn't fix the problem you can return it for a refund and look elsewhere for the problem.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will definately give that a try. Thank you for the advice... I would like to do a complete rebuild but that is still way out on the things to do list. If anyone else has anything feel free to let me know. Any advice is greatly appreciated will repost when I get it figured out.

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am LS1 Stalls then Dies after WOT