New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer Tune Question

Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer Tune Question

Just bought a 2000 Trans Am and I went to get it e-checked and it failed because the SES light was not working on the gauges. So I went and bought a set of gauges from the junk yard, and surprise SES light works now, throwing a couple of codes. EGR and front 02 sensor, I've done the reading and know to replace the 02's with the bosch 13111's. As far as the egr goes, I'm wondering if I should spend the money to replace it? Already tried cleaning it! Or should I spend the money on getting a tune done and just have it tuned out? Also, if I tune out the egr, air, and rear 02's, do I have to actually remove all that stuff or pull fuses or can I just leave it all there so it looks stock even though it's tuned out? Any help, thanks!!! One more thing, if anyone is near Cleveland, OH and can tune a LS1 please let me know, thanks again.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is someone went ahead and deleted the EGR or modified it and it threw a code. At this time they removed the SES bulb so they don't have to look at it. Then the O2's went out and the previous owner never found out. If you tune the things out you can leave then on the car or remove them. Your choice. I don't know about Cleveland but you should check out the Ohio LSX page. We have quite a few members on there from Cleveland that may be able to steer you in the right direction. Here is the link https://ls1tech.com/forums/groups/ohio-lsx.html
Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

should be able to just leave the stuff in place and it will operate fine if you tune them out.

my suggestion would be a tune. why spend money on the EGR replacement...a mail order tune would proabbly be cheaper.

look up Frost...he's been doing really well lately with mail orders.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Default more info

Well I originally thought someone had tuned the egr out. The dealer said they can control it with thier tech II but my computer is not. Well if someone tuned it out it shouldn't be throwing a code right? and why wouldnt' they tune out other stuff like the stupid skip shift? Oh and the bulb was the first thing I checked, it was good, the gauges were just bad or tampered with. The two codes I have are po135 and po405.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I would just replace the front O2 sensor or sensors and then have a tune done. It's nice to go ahead and kill the common codes like you mentioned with the AIR system and rear O2 sensors. You can leave the sensors in place so it appears they are in place and "working". If you can't find someone to tune it for you, pull the ECU out when you have a couple days and buzz it to us. If it is just a code delete it is $75 and if you want a full mail-tune it is $225. Let me know if we can help!

Jon
Old 01-12-2010, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Default thanks for quick responses

I appreciate the info. It was very helpful. Plan on replacing front o2 sensor's and doing a mail in tune. I do have one other question, I drove to Kentucky to get this car thinking it was a real WS6, but now that I have researched it more and gone over the car, I don't believe it is a real WS6. It has all the extras but can't find a WS6 rpo code anywhere and I ran the vin through a decoder and no WS6 rpo code and it said it came with 16" rims. So I guess my question is did I get ripped off on this? It has the hood, the badges, the raised air box, performance badge on dash. Not that it bothers me too much, I just wanted an LS1 car, but I like to trade my cars a lot and I try to be as honest as possible about my cars. I don't want to advertise it as a WS6 if it's not. Hope the guy I got it from can deal with the bad karma when it comes back around!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the RPO code doesn't say WS6 and with 16" rims... I would say your kinda SOL. Sorry to hear about the screw job though. They'll find out though that karmas a bitch.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I kinda figured as much. A WS6 is just a hood, rims, exhaust, and a little suspension tuning, this has the hood, going to change all the other stuff. Would be nice to say it's a WS6, guess it is what it is. But I have to say, this is by far one of the funnest cars to drive I have ever had. I've had old classics to newer turbos and lots of bikes, but the TA just feels good as soon as you sit in the drivers seat. Too bad it's been snowing since the day I brought it home. UGH!!

Search this Thread