Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake setup on my 2002 Z28

Old 01-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake setup on my 2002 Z28

I was hoping to get some input on my brake setup, I want to get Brembo blanks (I heard that slotted and cross drilled rotors can get too hot and crack), factory calipers, and Hawk HPS pads. Any changes I should make? I want a street setup, but I still want to be able to hit the track and run really hard. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds solid to me
Old 01-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input man . Know anywhere I can find some relatively inexpensive Brembo blanks? All the ones I've seen have been astronomically high in price.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

ws6store.com has em. should be something lik 100$ a corner. they have the pads too: 130 plus shipping....mine are in the mail lol
Old 01-12-2010, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

Wow really? Thanks for the advice, I had found the pad set on Strano's for $159.99, but sounds like WS6store has them cheaper. So you're using this exact same setup lol :p? You'll have to give me some feedback before I get them, I don't get paid until next Thursday.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

First of all, my pads @ $159.99/set also include shipping. Second of all, I have brake packages that have both HPS pads and ATE rotors at a discount.

Brembo's are vaporware half the time, and frankly aren't what they used to be. I've moved to the ATE's for a number of reasons. More readily available. Coated to prevent rust, just as high quality as the Brembo's from a few years back, and priced very similarly too. Also the "slots" the ATE's use do help keep grooving down on the rotor as the dirt does not get embedded in the pad and score the rotor. The slots are also shallow and only are down to the rotor's minimum wear surface.... which means when the slot wears away, it's time to change rotors. And there is no issue with structural integrity either.

BP2 is most popular....
http://stranoparts.com/partdetails.p...=191&ModelID=7

Also have other setups with less expensive rotors, or with the ATE's and Stainless Steel brake lines and fluid too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
First of all, my pads @ $159.99/set also include shipping. Second of all, I have brake packages that have both HPS pads and ATE rotors at a discount.

Brembo's are vaporware half the time, and frankly aren't what they used to be. I've moved to the ATE's for a number of reasons. More readily available. Coated to prevent rust, just as high quality as the Brembo's from a few years back, and priced very similarly too. Also the "slots" the ATE's use do help keep grooving down on the rotor as the dirt does not get embedded in the pad and score the rotor. The slots are also shallow and only are down to the rotor's minimum wear surface.... which means when the slot wears away, it's time to change rotors. And there is no issue with structural integrity either.

BP2 is most popular....

Also have other setups with less expensive rotors, or with the ATE's and Stainless Steel brake lines and fluid too.
Yeah, I saw that they were free shipping which is pretty nice. Really? I've heard that Brembo was the way to go as far as high performance braking is concerned. Hm, so you would recommend the ATE slotted rotors? The structural integrety was my main concern as I heard that was the main problem, but it seems like slotted rotors would be the best choice over blanks or cross drilled. Thanks, Mr. Strano this has been very insightful. I'm trying to get the optimum setup for my desired criteria, any more advice? I would imagine that you would recommend the BP2 as it has both the ATE rotors and the HPS pads.

Last edited by Mustang Killer; 01-12-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

running the ATE rotors and the Hawk pads...

they are FANTASTIC

highly recommend them...
Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

When you say you want to take it to the track and beat on it occasionally, what kind of track are you talking about? If you plan to do any fun runs on a road course, no stock replacement regardless of who makes them is going to last very long. In that case your best off just using the cheapest blank you can find, because they WILL be trashed by the end of the day. Brembo replacement blanks won't offer you any benefits over a stock rotor IMHO.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mustang Killer
Wow really? Thanks for the advice, I had found the pad set on Strano's for $159.99, but sounds like WS6store has them cheaper. So you're using this exact same setup lol :p? You'll have to give me some feedback before I get them, I don't get paid until next Thursday.
i meant my pads are in the mail lol. im currently on stock rotors with 110k miles on them that have been turned past the maximum turn point

i went with EBC grooved rotors which are in the mail aswell. sams set up would probably work well for you...unless your looking for blank rotors indefinitely. hope you find what youre looking for!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
When you say you want to take it to the track and beat on it occasionally, what kind of track are you talking about? If you plan to do any fun runs on a road course, no stock replacement regardless of who makes them is going to last very long. In that case your best off just using the cheapest blank you can find, because they WILL be trashed by the end of the day. Brembo replacement blanks won't offer you any benefits over a stock rotor IMHO.
No I don't ever run it on any road courses, just the eighth. I just need some kind of stopping power for when I get to the end of the track.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

what are your trap speeds at the 1/8? seems like good stock brakes would easily slow you down.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have to admit Sam is right, The Brembo blanks are not what they use to be, HPS and the ATE's with free ship sounds like a deal to me cause blanks are heavy and cost $ to ship.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mustang Killer
No I don't ever run it on any road courses, just the eighth. I just need some kind of stopping power for when I get to the end of the track.
When working within the constraints of a stock braking system all you can really work with to affect stopping power is brake pad compound, brake fluid and your tires. A drilled rotor will keep your rotors cooler and a slotted will deglaze your pads should they become overheated. Occasional eight mile runs should not pose a problem for your stock brakes. When it comes to blanks, a premium casting from one company is going to be the same as any other IMHO.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:56 AM
Banned

would a upgrade to a c5 directional rotor be better then the camaro brembo blanks or another aftermarket good rotor?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

BP2 is most popular....

i'm gonna have to say go with the ATE's....i got mine from Strano back in april, and so far, they haven't started to warp/groove like the cheap-*** stock replacements did that i bought from auto zone the first time i replaced the rotors....those things warped again within the first few months, and gradually got worse & worse until i couldn't stand the car shaking anymore when i came to a stop.

on top of that, i really like the coating the ATE's have on them to keep them from rusting, makes it look a lot better when viewing them through the spokes in the wheels....they look just as good now as the day i put them on (aside from being a little dirty because of the rainy/cold weather).

i'm running the auto zone Duralast Gold ceramic pads right now, they're really good about not dusting the wheels as much as semi-metallic or carbon metallic pads do, and they're really affordable, too ($55 for the front pair, $37 for the rear pair).....they also have rubber backings on them to keep them from squeaking, and come with a good amount of brake grease to grease up the areas where the little metal clips go, for the same reason....my brakes are as quiet now as they were the day i bought the car (probably even quieter, since i bought it used).
Old 01-14-2010, 08:37 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ae13291
would a upgrade to a c5 directional rotor be better then the camaro brembo blanks or another aftermarket good rotor?
A C5 rotor gives about an inch more overall diameter. Moving the moment arm of the rotor out creates more torque which will mean less pedal pressure for the same stopping power. The biggest advantage to the C5 rotor IMO is the directional vanes which aid in cooling.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
A C5 rotor gives about an inch more overall diameter. Moving the moment arm of the rotor out creates more torque which will mean less pedal pressure for the same stopping power. The biggest advantage to the C5 rotor IMO is the directional vanes which aid in cooling.
thank you for the response, seems like i will go the route of putting on the c5 rotors and maybe down the line upgrade to some c5 calipers or brembo's.

i also have a question unrelated to rotors, would a brake pad dry out or possibly be bad if its older then for instance 5 years?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ae13291
Like Adam said, the C5 rotor is a little bigger, and has directional vanes. They also cost less than the LS1 rotors for some reason. I also have a setup that has ATE's in C5 front/LS1 F-body rear for those that have done the conversion.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can't just slap on C5 rotors.....takes specific brackets (and most then take C5 calipers and pads, not F-body calipers and pads).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake setup on my 2002 Z28