Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are you 6sd guys sprayn off your nitrous controller?

Old 01-12-2010, 01:51 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How are you 6sd guys sprayn off your nitrous controller?

I just purchased a microedge plus and am wanting to know how u guys are leaving the with them.

do you totally lockout 1st gear, spray only so much thru 1st and ramp up from there? im

getting it installed as we speak but want get a chance to play with it til it warms up

i am sprayn a 150 shot and will be on 16''mt et streets.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running an FJO Nitrous Controller. Ive only made one track pass on the bottle, and that was just an attempt. I shattered a half-shaft coming off the line. The funny thing was, I setup this ramp so the car would leave "soft" and hopefully not break anything. I slipped the clutch quickly from 5500RPM, which was always the sweet spot on the motor. I guess the extra umph from the bottle was a little too much for the stock GTO axles!

150HP - First Gear Lockout: Disabled
Ramp Time: 1.0 Second - Leave: 33% (50HP)

It broke about half a tenth into this run, lol.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've got 1st gear locked out, mainly due to traction issues. That's on street tires though so take it fwiw.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Launching!

thanks so far, im hoping not to have traction issues, i think i will have it 1st locked out for the street and switch up and have it spraying a certain percent like billy bob, i guess i got to play with it and see what works best for me
Old 01-13-2010, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

subscribed....I have mine spraying any gear! lol
Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Here's something to keep in mind about spraying on the street, if youre planning on racing from a roll. The first gear lockout feature has nothing to do with the transmission, it operates off your window switch. Lets say you have the first gear lockout feature enabled, and your window switch set to come on at 3500RPM, and turn off at 7000RPM. That means your nitrous controller will not allow the car to spray until the engine has gone above 7000RPM, and then fallen back into the RPM window. So if youre planning on beating up on Supra's from a third gear roll, the nitrous kit will not activate.

Also, things are a little tricky for the stickshift guys. I personally dont like power-shifting my car because it tears **** up, but you really dont have a choice if youre wanting to run a progressive ramp. Every time you let off the throttle for a shift, the progressive controller will reset, and go through the ramp again once it has sensed wide open throttle again. You really dont want to have the solenoids pulsing for a second in every gear. Hell, I dont think second gear lasts but about a second on the bottle!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BillyBob750
Here's something to keep in mind about spraying on the street, if youre planning on racing from a roll. The first gear lockout feature has nothing to do with the transmission, it operates off your window switch. Lets say you have the first gear lockout feature enabled, and your window switch set to come on at 3500RPM, and turn off at 7000RPM. That means your nitrous controller will not allow the car to spray until the engine has gone above 7000RPM, and then fallen back into the RPM window. So if youre planning on beating up on Supra's from a third gear roll, the nitrous kit will not activate.

Also, things are a little tricky for the stickshift guys. I personally dont like power-shifting my car because it tears **** up, but you really dont have a choice if youre wanting to run a progressive ramp. Every time you let off the throttle for a shift, the progressive controller will reset, and go through the ramp again once it has sensed wide open throttle again. You really dont want to have the solenoids pulsing for a second in every gear. Hell, I dont think second gear lasts but about a second on the bottle!
Your first statement is correct, it has nothing to do w/ the actual 1st gear of your tranny. I'm sorry if that was misinterpreted in my prior post. I should have been more specific.......when activating my nitrous from a standstill, I utilize the "first gear lockout" feature.
The issues you mentioned after that though aren't ones you'll find w/ the Microedge from HSW. Without getting into too much detail, there are several delay settings that can adjusted to prevent what you're talking about. You can also save multiple file configurations for different situations you may come across i.e. racing from a standstill, or racing from a third gear roll.
I can't speak for your FJO controller though, no experience w/ that one.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

If i want to use the microedge on the track can you use a 1st gear lockout and say 60-75% n20 in 2nd then full blast through 3rd n 4th? Also is it pretty easy to switch it from the track configuration one for the street
Old 01-13-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't been able to mess around with my MicroEdge much but I have first gear locked out from a dig.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

i have mine set to come on at 3500 rpms ..so wen i leave at 2500 rpms it hooks and come om in the motion......its set on the pedal
Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

It takes a lot of playing around. When I first started, i used the 1st gear lock out feature at the track, then decided to turn it off. I slip the clutch around 3000 or so off the line, usually end up letting it out too quickly and the motor bogs back down to 2500 or so, then the bottle comes on at 3000rpm (and WOT), and shes screaming. This is all on nitto nt555's, (not the drag radials) and it always hooked on a well prepped track (even second gear was a struggle on the street-no matter the speed). Now ive got some et streets on on the back and looking forward to some more track time and getting more aggressive with the launch. Good luck, that microedge is a work of art.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

28in tall ET street, launched at 5k and let her eat!!!! Although with the plus I would probably have it set on a quick ramp rate. Really need to know more of your set up to help you out.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i hold the rpms about 4500 and then when the last yellow lights up i hammer it and dump the clutch. it comes out within a couple feet of movement.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
i hold the rpms about 4500 and then when the last yellow lights up i hammer it and dump the clutch. it comes out within a couple feet of movement.
Same here. My window switch is set for 3400 and I'm dumping at 4500. Car is dead hooking on 17" drag radials.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kc533
The issues you mentioned after that though aren't ones you'll find w/ the Microedge from HSW. Without getting into too much detail, there are several delay settings that can adjusted to prevent what you're talking about. You can also save multiple file configurations for different situations you may come across i.e. racing from a standstill, or racing from a third gear roll.
I can't speak for your FJO controller though, no experience w/ that one.
Man, those are some really nice features. I have quite a few gripes with the FJO controller, but I already have the damn thing, so Im trying my best to live with it. I hate that there's no way for me to save tuneups. I have to manually enter the parameters I want each time I want to change settings. I also hate the stuff I mentioned above, its a total pain in the ***.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Launching!

my set up is very simple, i have a pat g cam and a 150 shot lol thats it besides full bolt ons and ls7 clutch. I will have a rearend by the summer, with lowering springs and prob some hd bilistein shocks. i have panhard, sfc, lower control arms already. im wanting to run the hsw controller cause before i had no window switch or nothing, i was shifting with a whole lot of hope. i want to come out of the hole with the spray but avoid traction issues, i am going to get the 16'' et streets and hopefully can leave with it at around a 4k to 5k dump. i know some people that have first gear locked out in fear of spinning with all the extra torque nitrous provides but i want to use mine from yellow light to finish line. i dont plan on a big/skinny set up for a while, i still got some other things i want to do to the car. so im working with what i have. i used the microedge because of all of its features plus i can switch tunes easy and also i got a great deal on it
Old 01-14-2010, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

I Spray it right out of the hole as well, dead hooking on 16" Hoosier DR's. Window switch at 3250 and dumping the clutch at 5k rpm...... This is with a Midwest 9" rear, so if you are on stock rear i would not reccomend it.....
Old 01-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Launching!

no sir lol my stock rear is crying like a lost runaway slave, im getting my rear sometime this summer if it makes it til then
Old 01-14-2010, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'99 FRC here launching at 4500 and spraying at WOT and 3000 rpms. No controller what so ever. I agree with Superslow! 4500+ and let it eat! She wont let you down.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

thats what i do bring it to about 4k and then as the lights are droping just go wide open and dump it at the same time. leaves hard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuLwJG5yEKk
^^^ thats leaving on a 200shot with no controler just wot and window switches

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How are you 6sd guys sprayn off your nitrous controller?