Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Best hooking street tire?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best hooking street tire?

I have 16x8 inch wheels. Eventually I plan on getting a set of DRs mounted on a extra set of rims for trips to the track. I dont have the money to do that now. So I am looking for the best option traction wise for some street tires. Also descently priced. I know cheaper and traction are two things that usually dont go together.

I am running Kumho Ecsta ASXs right now, and they are terrible. Im always fishtailing, losing traction, and going up in a cloud of smoke without even launching. I just need tires that wont break the bank. Any experiences or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Be more specific. Are you looking for an all-season tire that will see snow or a summer performance tire? If you aren't seeing snow or extreme cold weather I would recommend nitto 555r's for the back. They are the best tire for the drag radial that won't sacrifice as much mileage and cash as the others. If your seeing snow I would say the 555 extremes.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

^ +1. I have the regular 555's and they hook-up great when the roads are warm. Cold weather is a different story but that's the case with pretty much any tire. I believe they are about $145 a tire.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

No it wont be seeing any snow, but will occasionally see rain. I have not drove it since November. I have been working on getting myself a beater. But in the mean time I have been driving the old ladys car. What kind of longevity am I looking at with 555rs and which tires for the front?

Although i'm kind of looking for the same all the way around. Like I said I plan on getting a set of DRs in the future for a extra set of wheels.

Last edited by bowtie_racer; 01-12-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

The 555r's last pretty long but it all depends on how you drive it obviously. As for the rain, they aren't the greatest, but as long as you're not messing around, you should be fine. I personally run these on all 4 and I don't have any complaints.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Anyone know what the widest tire I could fit on a 16x8 inch wheel without it wearing terribly and affecting handling?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Any experiences with Nitto NT 450s or Riken Raptors?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie_racer
Anyone know what the widest tire I could fit on a 16x8 inch wheel without it wearing terribly and affecting handling?
you can fit a 295/50/16 BFG Radial T/A. but a 255/50/16 would be better suited for you.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
you can fit a 295/50/16 BFG Radial T/A. but a 255/50/16 would be better suited for you.
Wow really. I thought 255 would be the largest you would want to go.

With your power level I would probably still say 555 extremes. They will last ~20-25k, be great in the rain, and pretty cheap.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any experiences with Nitto NT 450s or Riken Raptors?
I can tell you that riken raptors do not hook. I'm temporarily running my roommates 285/40/17 raptors on ws6 speedlines on my 400rwhp Camaro, and they start to hook up at about 75.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just get some Nitto 555r's. They're good on the track and on the road (except rain) and are pretty moderately priced to other tires in the same performance category.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like you need something like the Nitto NT01's. These would be a great everyday tire for you. Yes you would have to drive very carefully when it rains like you would with the 555R but when its dry these would be a huge step up over your Kumho's and they would last longer than any drag radial. These aren't the cheapest but In looking at the sizes you can run on your stock wheels (245/50R16, 255/50R16) these offer the most traction for your money.

If these are more than you want to spend my next suggestion would be the BFG G-Force Sport. These would be better than your Kumho's, better than an NT450 or any of the entry performance tires in the correct sizes but they would be no match for the NT01's.

Let us know if we can help.

NT01
Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct
Sounds to me like you need something like the Nitto NT01's. These would be a great everyday tire for you. Yes you would have to drive very carefully when it rains like you would with the 555R but when its dry these would be a huge step up over your Kumho's and they would last longer than any drag radial. These aren't the cheapest but In looking at the sizes you can run on your stock wheels (245/50R16, 255/50R16) these offer the most traction for your money.

If these are more than you want to spend my next suggestion would be the BFG G-Force Sport. These would be better than your Kumho's, better than an NT450 or any of the entry performance tires in the correct sizes but they would be no match for the NT01's.

]

Thanks for all the help! I have been looking at them all on your website, and will be in touch with you soon. Im probably gonna go with the Nittos 555s.

Thanks to everyone else for your input and advice!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct

NT01
^^^I just wanna point out that he prolly knows what he's talking about...he represents discount tire and is a premium sponsor for LS1tech...

It's awesome that you guys post on here as well as sponsor, it's much appreciated that companies like you go the step further in helping customers and enthusiansts! Thanks!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for all the help! I have been looking at them all on your website, and will be in touch with you soon. Im probably gonna go with the Nittos 555s.

Thanks to everyone else for your input and advice!
Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
^^^I just wanna point out that he prolly knows what he's talking about...he represents discount tire and is a premium sponsor for LS1tech...

It's awesome that you guys post on here as well as sponsor, it's much appreciated that companies like you go the step further in helping customers and enthusiansts! Thanks!

Thank you for the kind works! We are here to help and just like everyone here, we too are enthusiasts. We just happen to sell tires
Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

isn't the NT01 still a DOT Competition Tire?

I don't know how I would feel about that on the highway in heavy rain.....But I bet it hooks and corners great.

The 555Rs are just Drag Radials, if you are mostly concerned with going in a straight line they will probably be pretty good, but they arent going to be great for handling.

I am Running Dunlap Direzza Z1 Star Specs and I am very happy with them so far - they are no drag radial but they do much much better than the GSD3 goodyears I had before.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
isn't the NT01 still a DOT Competition Tire?

I don't know how I would feel about that on the highway in heavy rain.....But I bet it hooks and corners great.

The 555Rs are just Drag Radials, if you are mostly concerned with going in a straight line they will probably be pretty good, but they arent going to be great for handling.

I am Running Dunlap Direzza Z1 Star Specs and I am very happy with them so far - they are no drag radial but they do much much better than the GSD3 goodyears I had before.
The NT01 is in the same class as the Star Spec Z1. They are DOT approved Ultra High Performance track tires. Both tires are rated with low UTQGs. As mentioned above they aren't good in rain but they will hook hard and handle very well.

I think an ideal tire for the OP would be the Hankook EVO 12 or the NT05 but, unfortunately, he would have to purchase a new set of wheels to run either tire. Neither of them are offered in the correct 16" size. Next best tire performance wise that is offered in the correct size for the OP is the NT01 or the Goodyear GSD3 (Back ordered). The performance and handling will be there for him with The NT01 but the wet traction will not. If he goes with, say, the G-force Sports he could get better wet traction but we'll only decrease his spinning by a little. It all comes down to whats more important wet traction or dry performance. If he can wait, the GS-D3 would also be a great option.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 01-14-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nitto NTO1 are really nice just don't last to long on the street or the track
Old 01-16-2010, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

i think the mt drag radials would be better.did not have any look with the nt555r.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've been looking around for new tires since last October and haven't bought anything yet. The SCCA tested a few of these tires and the results can be seen in the link below. The tires were shaved to 3/32, and with their specific combination of equipment and environment that week, the Star Spec Z1 outperformed the NT05.

http://img62.imageshack.us/i/tirecom...nsept2009.pdf/

From the other competitive reviews I've read the NT01 does not do well in wet conditions. I've also read other time trial reviews where the Direzza was faster than the NT05, the Direzza is less expensive in a similar size (265/40/17 Direzza vs. 275/40/17 NT05), and while the NT05 has huge water channels for standing water I'm not confident that actually helps agains hydroplaning. If the OP is concerned at all with wet weather control, I'd stay away from the NT01 or NT05.

I was also considering the Yokohama S.Drive, and decided against the Kumgo ASX due to it's horrible wet weather reviews. All of your car control actions are transmitted through the tires...buy the best you can afford for the conditions you may experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best hooking street tire?