Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Shifter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Replacement

I see lots of talk about replacing the stock shifter with a 'short shifter'. Can someone point me to the proper parts to purchase (shifter, boot, ****, etc.)? Also, I assume this is a project that can be done from the top-side of the tranny (interior of the car) and seems like something I could myself, so references to how-to guides would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

CadillacFAQ.com

or something like that. Google it. Best source on the net.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...ter/index.html

You can contact either Jason at Katech, (866) KATECH1, for their shifter, or Luke Butler at Lindsay Cadillac, (703) 824-9670, for the UUC shifter. Not sure if Katech has the bushings, but Lindsay does keep them in stock---ask both about ***** and boots as not sure who stocks what.
Good luck, you will notice the difference immediately and agree that next to the POS rear-end, the stock shifter was a pitiful attempt by GM.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Ugh... That looks like a lot more work than what I thought it would be. I replaced the stock shifter on my C5 with a C6 shifter and it was simple and all done from the top-side. I figured the V process would be pretty much the same to the C5. May have to have someone do this for me...
Old 01-13-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by egypt123
Ugh... That looks like a lot more work than what I thought it would be. I replaced the stock shifter on my C5 with a C6 shifter and it was simple and all done from the top-side. I figured the V process would be pretty much the same to the C5. May have to have someone do this for me...
I have a UUC Short shifter. It was one of the best mods I have done to the car.

When it came time to install it, I had help from a friend, but we did the whole thing from the top except my friend had to crawl under the car at the end of the install to put a wrench on the nuts near the bottom of the shifter-linkage to hold them while I tightened from the top. We didn't lower the exhaust or anything like that. The whole install took about 45 minutes.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by egypt123
Absolutely a must mod for the V1. It can be done in 30 mins and without removing the drive shaft and exhaust...unless you have gorilla arms. I went with the B&M shifter, UUC bushing, and the Holden **** and boot...the difference was night and day.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Sent ya a PM.
Like everyone else is saying it is a must do mod, the short shifter with UUC bushings is so much better than stock.
Most of the process is done from the top but you do need to put the bushings in and remove one bolt from the bottom, the DS and exhaust does not need to be removed.
It really is an easy mod.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

top install isnt bad at all.. i went with the Katech, middle road price and came with all pieces you need for install. get the UUC shifter linkage bushings from Luke at Lindsay, they were the hardest part of the install.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey Egypt, a friend of mine modified my stocker and its bad ***. were having a V-meet here in Houston at 11 a.m. saturday morning @ brickhouse tavern. its off 290 and pinemont next to Hooters. you and GulfM3 should come out. you can check out the modified stock shifter. Its sweet!! i believe we have 5 V's comin this time but we'll see.

Quick Reply: Shifter Replacement