Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I bought a WS6

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought I bought a WS6

Ok here's the deal, through a little trading I came across this 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (?) 6 speed car. 107k miles. I drove down south to get it, so it's extremely clean inside and out. I had just about 4grand in the car I traded for it, so I have about 4grand in it. Since I'm a newb to these cars I wasn't exactly sure what to look for to make sure I was getting what I wanted. Well turns out there are no WS6 rpo codes on the car anywhere and it has the 16" chrome rims on it. It does have a factory WS6 hood and a performance badge on the dash. Whoever painted the bird on the hood painted the WS6 logo on the back too. Fake WS6? Still a good buy?
Attached Thumbnails Thought I bought a WS6-000_1312.jpg   Thought I bought a WS6-000_1316.jpg  

Last edited by WizardofDetailing; 01-13-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there are no performance badges from factory on these cars
Old 01-13-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

If there is no WS6 RPO code, then its not a WS6. You could always try running the vin through a decoder. If you don't know how, PM me your VIN and i'll PM you the results.

Still sounds like you got a good deal tho.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Teching In

So you traded a car worth 4 grand for a fairly close replica of a WS6 with that many miles? Hmm well look at it like this..

If you priced a firebird with that many miles with that same ls1 engine you'd probably be paying somewhere around 3-4 grand and that's without ws6 cosmetics. Also those WS6 parts or replicas get pretty pricey.

I think you may have got your money's worth & maybe it's a fairly good deal but I myself don't think I'd buy an LS1 with that many miles on it. I can only think of the abuse that car has been through.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Default more info

Well the car I traded had 160k miles on it and it was a Ford, so I was pretty happy to go down in mileage. Plus its still a chevy small block, even if it was beat on it should still have a lot of life left. True WS6 hood, flow master exhaust, 3.73 gears, new clutch, short shifter??, K&N airfilter, and came with Corvette C5 wheels. Check engine light was on, just ran some good gas through it and cleaned the egr valve, that took care of that, rear end humms only when you are slightly pushing on the gas pedal, not at a coast or when you are on the gas good. Took the cover off, everything looks good and new, but I'm not a gear expert and know nothing about it. Just put some better gear oil in and a new cover w/ gasket, no more leak and noise is quieter. So no rpo code in the door either means not a WS6 or someone replace the door and kept the nice rims?

And for your pricing, I would agree with RWB, that your a little off there buddy, I would say the motor and trans are worth 3-4k. There are only a handful of these cars around me and the cheapest one is 11k with a few more miles than mine and non WS6 fake or not. Did I mention how clean my car is???!!!! I'm just looking for an actual value difference between a WS6 and a Trans Am WS6 look a like if that is what it is.

Last edited by WizardofDetailing; 01-13-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RocknRollCali87
So you traded a car worth 4 grand for a fairly close replica of a WS6 with that many miles? Hmm well look at it like this..

If you priced a firebird with that many miles with that same ls1 engine you'd probably be paying somewhere around 3-4 grand and that's without ws6 cosmetics. Also those WS6 parts or replicas get pretty pricey.

I think you may have got your money's worth & maybe it's a fairly good deal but I myself don't think I'd buy an LS1 with that many miles on it. I can only think of the abuse that car has been through.
So your saying a LS1 trans am (non ws6) with 107k miles on it will only be worth $3k-$4k? Thats crazy non sense right there. I paid $10k for mine with 90k and then when it was taken, Insurance payed me $14k for it with 120k miles on it.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WizardofDetailing
I'm just looking for an actual value difference between a WS6 and a Trans Am WS6 look a like if that is what it is.
I would say the difference between a good look-a-like and a real WS6 cant be more then 1k-2k when your talking 2 cars with over 100k on them man.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

i think you should just trade me your hood for mine to keep things in perspective..
Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Value wise only the purists and collectors give a crap. A Trans Am is a Trans Am, as long as you don't try to pawn it off as a true WS6 no one will care. Just bang some gears and enjoy it. BTW heres a Vin decoder http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TAtoad
there are no performance badges from factory on these cars
I believe you are mistaken.

A 98-02 WS6 Firebird Trans Am could have the "WS6" Emblem below the passenger taillight.

To the O.P...

As was stated in a previous post, if you don't see the WS6 code on the list of RPO codes then you don't have a WS6 car.

But, also like everyone else has mentioned, it sounds like you got the car for a very reasonable price. And the fact that it already has a Ram Air Hood, painted to match, saves you the trouble of having to purchase, paint, and install one yourself. Now you can use that cash to find some sweet 17" wheels/tires of your choice and ditch the factory 16" wheels.

Congrats on owning your first LSx car.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

dude you got RIPPED.!!! dont worry tho, ill buy it for $4,100 lol

enjoy
Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I believe you are mistaken.

A 98-02 WS6 Firebird Trans Am could have the "WS6" Emblem below the passenger taillight.

To the O.P...

As was stated in a previous post, if you don't see the WS6 code on the list of RPO codes then you don't have a WS6 car.

But, also like everyone else has mentioned, it sounds like you got the car for a very reasonable price. And the fact that it already has a Ram Air Hood, painted to match, saves you the trouble of having to purchase, paint, and install one yourself. Now you can use that cash to find some sweet 17" wheels/tires of your choice and ditch the factory 16" wheels.

Congrats on owning your first LSx car.
my bad, i meant to say on the dash.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the vin decoder LS1W66.
And I'll keep the hood thanks, and I won't try to pass it off as a WS6, I'm very honest about my cars. I'll tell you everything good and bad about it. I bought this one and found out everything good and bad on my own. But I have to say for the most part I'm pretty dam happy with it. Already have a set of vette wheels for it, just need two 18" tires for them. And I'll have to take a pic of the badge on the dashboard. What no one has that or its not suppose to be there? It looks factory to me.
Attached Thumbnails Thought I bought a WS6-000_1337.jpg  

Last edited by WizardofDetailing; 01-13-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: pic of hood, bird is hand painted
Old 01-13-2010, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

the ws6 came wit 17 inch wheels.....urs abs 16 inch....and another way is to look at the codes in the inside of the door....
Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

I'd say you got a pretty good deal assuming nothing major is wrong with it. $4,000 for a car that could easily sold for $8-10k is a pretty damn good deal. If you want, you can always flip the car (sell it right away for a higher price), then buy a WS6 that is in worse shape than the car you just got...
*Either way, when you mod the car, it isn't going to make a difference between the 20 horsepower a WS6 claims to gain over the regular Trans Am.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Lucky bastard!...just kidding man. Thats one hell of a deal. Wish I could find one for that cheap around my neck of the woods. Congratulations!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

I'm not too worried about horsepower, it's just going to be a sunny day driver. Plan on doing a few of the free mods, putting the vette wheels on this weekend and definately want the computer tuned. Won't even run it at the track. Nothing majorly wrong with the car at all really, couple little things like brakes and what not. Strong clutch, great oil pressure, pulls through all the rpm's, shifts smooth, and drives very nice. I did drive it back from down south, and that was an awesome cruise with a 6 speed. Thanks for all the feed back, it's been a real help.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of Ford was it? Sounds like an ok deal even if its a non WS6 car, sounds like you have some good plans for it too
Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95'FiReChIcKeN
Wish I could find one for that cheap around my neck of the woods.
You probably can on EARTH!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Teching In

yeah what he said, true ws6 or not, just tromp it and LIVE !!!