View Full Version : Scary Clicking Sounds w/ Performance Issues

Camaro2iDie
01-13-2010, 06:14 PM
I have a 2000 camaro 3.8 t5.. I'm really hoping I can figure out what's going on. So anyways, I turn on my car the other day after not driving it for a day or 2. All of a sudden I hear a "click, click, click, click, click..." very fast coming from the engine bay and when I rev the engine and drive it sounds like an STI almost. I can also hear it clicking a little bit slower from the exhaust. It will do this until I drive anywhere from a half of a block to 1 mile. While it's clicking, my car's power is diminished. All of a sudden, when it stops clicking, EVERYTHING is normal and it regains it's performance without any noise or problems. I'm completely puzzled. It seems if my engine gets cold after letting it sit for awhile it will have these problems. But if my engine is still warm after turning it off and then I turn it on to go somewhere again it will not have these signs and symptoms. Any ideas where to start?

71novaguy
01-13-2010, 07:23 PM
check the cat?

chaman
01-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Starter? Is your battery holding charge?

Camaro2iDie
01-13-2010, 08:36 PM
yes, battery is holding charge. I was thinking it could be the cat but then why would there be clicking coming from engine bay and why would problem be intermittent?

eseibel67
01-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Exhaust manifold leak could cause the ticking noise when cold, then as it heats up it expands enough to seal.

This might also explain the driveability. The leak is causing lean O2 reading and PCM is trying to compensate by adding fuel causing it to run like shit.

Camaro2iDie
01-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Exhaust manifold leak could cause the ticking noise when cold, then as it heats up it expands enough to seal.

This might also explain the driveability. The leak is causing lean O2 reading and PCM is trying to compensate by adding fuel causing it to run like shit.

Hmm.. I never thought of that. Someone also said something about my lifters.. I had my car seafoamed 1000 miles ago so I was wondering if this could have been the problem at all?

Camaro2iDie
01-13-2010, 10:17 PM
i also forgot to mention that I must have leaked or lossed some coolant somehow because it nearly overheated one day but luckily I caught it before it hit the red in 260.. filled her up with dex-cool and havent had a problem since.. stays at 210