Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Master or Slave the problem?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Master or Slave the problem?...

Alright guys, i have a 98 S10 4 banger 5 speed, internal slave, similar to the LS1 cars. i could post this on an S10 forum but there's not nearly the amount of knowledge as there is on this site, and i know LS1 cars have had to have similar issues.

My clutch is still pretty new, it works great, although lately in this super cold weather i noticed the clutch will begin to grab super low and after continuing to drive it, the clutch starts to not disengage when the pedal is down (foot to the floor pushing hard as hell, and its a bitch to get into gear, then will start rolling, so i know the problem is not enough pressure in the clutch system to disengage the slave all the way. i fixed it temporarily by bleeding the system, although the issue slowly comes back after driving a few days.

the system is not losing any fluid (at least that i can tell) as i have continually checked it, everything seems dry underneath, although i'm THINKING the slave might have a tiny leak thats causing the issue and it's just not showing much of a difference in the level of fluid in the master.

im thinking about just replacing both the master and slave although if i can narrow it down to one or the other i'd prefer saving a bit of money and quite a bit of work if it's only the master.

so...my question is, anyway i can single out either the master or the slave cylinder individually?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

had same problem with my 2000 ta, drop tranny and replace it, anyways you should replace both of them, but my buddy had same problem with his s10, if you dont have access to a lift pay someone it will be well worth it
Old 01-15-2010, 03:22 AM
TECH Regular

thanks man. i think im just gonna do em both and get it all done with. ill be in my heated garage with 4 jackstands. can't be much worse than the header/motor mount swap on my LT1 t/a... haha. its only a t5 which doesnt phase me much. lol. should do a writeup on it... hopefully all goes well.

Quick Reply: Master or Slave the problem?...