Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-Body headers option

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A-Body headers option

In the past I have read several posts about a less expensive option for an A-Body.
I had replied saying that I was hoping to use 99-ish Camaro headers... well until last night it was all hopes, but then I put the engine in the chassis to do the final mocking and tried the headers.
Well... it is official... THEY FIT!
They fit with no more complications than a regular set of headers for a set application, nothing a ball peen hammer can not fix, just regular clearancing.
I took some pictures with my phone with a very poor lighting, so sorry for the quality, but they illustrate the point.
I got my headers used off craigslist (I did not dare spend a lot of $$ on something I wasn't sure of the fitting. These headers are long tube pacesetters for a Camaro, I can not vouch for other brands but they also should fit.
Hope this helps.

Luis Corbala
Attached Thumbnails A-Body headers option-pic011410_2.jpg   A-Body headers option-pic011410_4.jpg   A-Body headers option-driver-side-header-detail.jpg   A-Body headers option-pass-side-header-detail.jpg  
Old 01-15-2010, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's good news. I like it. Thank you for the pics.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:53 AM
TECH Resident

Good news! How close to the floor pan are the collectors? Some better pics would be good as well as your oil pan and mount choices.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

what adapter mounts were you using-diff ones move the engine all over the place-also, depending on what you "hammer" like denting in a header tube, the right ones might be a better option-pretty cool if their close though, def would save some coin-i know my Hookers fit up tight, i modded my x mem. for a little better fit for the rest of the exhaust
if you can, shoot a pic underneath
Old 01-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

I used some mounts I made that set the engine 1.25" back, to leave the bellhousing at the same location as in the SBC/BBC.
I am also using the original mounts on the Chevelle.
As for oil pan I have the truck pan, yes it hangs pretty low but as it happens to be as deep as my old deep sump BBC I am considering just getting it on the road like that I would probably change it later on.
The headers fit pretty nice in the chassis with the "standard" floor spacing, the denting I mentioned does not go beyond .250" so as I said, nothing you wouldn't do to a set of headers that are right for the application... And yes I am sure the right Headers would be nicer, but if you read the nickname of my car "Rat Chevelle" you might get an idea of the budget kind of build up that I am doing.
(These pictures are not of my motor mounts, but they are very similar)
Attached Thumbnails A-Body headers option-new-lsx-mounts.jpg   A-Body headers option-headers-oil-pan-profile.jpg   A-Body headers option-pass-side-header-under-car.jpg  
Old 01-15-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah.. 4th gen hearder have been used before.. the most common mod to them is the collector.. to re-point them to get a better fit and angle to clear the exhaust pipe around the Cross member.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

That was my next question....What about the drivers side collector, where it kicks out? Any clearance issues there?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

wow, I did not realize they would work so easily. Ground clearance looks like it would be a problem for lowered cars but it is hard to tell with the pictures.

Oh and i know what it is like to be on a tight budget.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
That was my next question....What about the drivers side collector, where it kicks out? Any clearance issues there?
No, not at all. It is true the collector points outward but I suppose that a pipe can easily be connected when I do the exhaust.
And the ground clearance of the headers is excellent, they tuck in neatly, my main concern would be the pan, but I plan on starting it first.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like I'm gonna try this with my Edelbrock Victor headers. Should be interesting.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Any update on how these headers fit and how you routed your exhaust?

Thanks

Aaron
Old 10-19-2010, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

look like they fit better than my Doug's headers made for the swap....

Quick Reply: A-Body headers option