Sponsored by:

Carb Wire Harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Wire Harness

Hey guys Newbie here.

I have been checking your site for awhile now and decided to be a member.

I bought a '68 C10 pickup and recently bought a 5.3L LM7 from a 99 Silverado.

I am considering go to a carb set up using the Edelbrock intake and MSD contoller combo.

I have read a few post about this conversion and because of the swap in my situation it has finalized my decision.

Here is my question though regarding the wire harness.
I have the complete wire harness and computer, fuse box etc.
If I am going carb is the computer used anymore?
What wires are still needed for this conversion?
Will I need the computer or other parts of harness if I decide to go with an electic trans like the 4L60e?
Oh, I also want to run all the 5.3L assesories ie power steering, A/c, alternator.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though I am a BIG fan of carbed LS engines.....since you have all the wiring and computer and you want to use the 4L60E, It would be easier and cheaper to go with what you have. Just my .02 cents worth. Ron
Old 01-16-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going carb, (to me) it seems like it would be a better choice to go with a 200-4R or 700R4 tranny. That way you can get rid of all the spaghetti circus (wiring) and confusers .
Old 01-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul57
If you are going carb, (to me) it seems like it would be a better choice to go with a 200-4R or 700R4 tranny. That way you can get rid of all the spaghetti circus (wiring) and confusers .

I currently have a rebuilt 200-4R trans ready to go in with the swap.
But, I am looking for future build. I don't want to throw anything away or sell anything that I might want later.

As far as keeping the FI, it is a big headache, I already have a turbo Fuel Injected car! It is a pain having to take it somewhere to have it tuned.
The other thing with keeping the FI setup, is having to do all the mods welding to the existing fuel tank, running more fuel lines, hooking up the right fuel pump, fuel pressure regulators etc.
Lets not forget about having to deal with the MAF and the dual O2 sensors.

Anyway there is a lot of pros and cons for the Carb Vs. FI. I decided to go old school and do the carb. So...

What wires do I need to keep to stay with the carb conversion, the 5.3L accessories?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the same things about a carb that you do...my '57 will be carb'd. You will need the coil packs, obviously. You will need a hook-up/plug for the alternator. The MSD 6010 ignition (you will need) comes with wiring to connect the coils (and needed sensors) for a carb application. If you are using the AC compressor, you would need that connector (I believe)?? I think I got most of it..??
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Here is another question to. I have seen post where they are asking about MAP and carbs. I thought that was just for Fuel Inj.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

The MSD uses a MAP sensor like a dist would for vacuum advance. It comes with the MSD box but you dont "have" to hook it up or use it.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 6L.IROC-Z
The MSD uses a MAP sensor like a dist would for vacuum advance. It comes with the MSD box but you dont "have" to hook it up or use it.
thanks. Make sense.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

You snookered me!! In your original post you didn't say anything about having or using the 200-4R. To me, that changes everything, LOL. I run a 200-4R behind my 6.0 in my street rod and I love it. I would go with the carb. If you already have the 6010, you can see what sensors you need on the engine. The 6010's harness is pretty much separate unto itself from the original harness except for the 12 volt hookup. I would definately use the MAP sensor on a street engine for the sake of gas mileage. If you're wanting to use the LS1 AC compressor with the truck's original AC stuff, you need to do a search on here, as I have seen a few threads about that. Good luck with your project, Ron
Old 01-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rojs234
You snookered me!! In your original post you didn't say anything about having or using the 200-4R. To me, that changes everything, LOL. I run a 200-4R behind my 6.0 in my street rod and I love it. I would go with the carb. If you already have the 6010, you can see what sensors you need on the engine. The 6010's harness is pretty much separate unto itself from the original harness except for the 12 volt hookup. I would definately use the MAP sensor on a street engine for the sake of gas mileage. If you're wanting to use the LS1 AC compressor with the truck's original AC stuff, you need to do a search on here, as I have seen a few threads about that. Good luck with your project, Ron
LOL. I tend NOT to include everything because sometime the post will go off on a tangent and not answer my question.
The 200 was originally intended for my '69 Burb. But, sold it before I had a chance. Most of what I read about them is good. When they are built they are just as strong as the others PLUS it is the same size as the th350!!

Thanks for the info. from what I have read so far on this site and other places there is only a couple of wires needed for the LSx carb swap.

There is some hard line fittings that will have to be dealt with like the temp, oil pressure, power steering etc.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you already have the computer i would *think* you could use that to drive the ignition and just add a carb in place of the FI. I don't know this for a fact, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

You would still need some sort of EFI tuning software to adjust the timing. But you could keep the knock sensors this way.

I don't have a detailed answer to your original question. I will second what someone said earlier if you go with the 6010 box you can ditch the stock computer. It has everything you need to run the motor, including a very easy to hook up harness. You keep the coils and engine sensors (cam, crank) and can delete everything else. the only other sensors you need to hook up are the water temp and oil pressure, but that is just for the dash guages. You adapt the stock sensors off the original truck to do that.

As for accessories, PS pump and alternator don't need the computer. AC I don't know about but if it is controlled by the computer it shouldn't be difficult to adapt it to an old-school set up.

I don't know what is needed to drive just the transmission. If you go 6010 I would be strongly inclined to go with a non-computer trans.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 6D8_C10
LOL. I tend NOT to include everything because sometime the post will go off on a tangent and not answer my question.
The 200 was originally intended for my '69 Burb. But, sold it before I had a chance. Most of what I read about them is good. When they are built they are just as strong as the others PLUS it is the same size as the th350!!

Thanks for the info. from what I have read so far on this site and other places there is only a couple of wires needed for the LSx carb swap.

There is some hard line fittings that will have to be dealt with like the temp, oil pressure, power steering etc.
Those last few things you mention are a piece of cake.Do a little searching and you will find various ways to hook up your original guages. Using a carb makes it even easier because you don't have to keep the LS1 senders to communicate with the PCM. All you will have is the crankshaft sensor(behind starter), cam sensor, (rear valley cover), MAP sensor(definately IMO) and the coils. The 6010 harness plugs right into all these and if I remember, 12 volt switched and ground...simple. There is a thread on here about swapping an LS1 in a '71 short bed, I believe. If you can find it, there are some good pics and info in it. I'm sure there are others as well. If you're interested...click on my red truck and screen name to find some of my earlier posts about MAP sensors and how they work. If I can help with questions on your project, feel free to contact me. Ron
Old 01-17-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is your temp sender mechanical or electric? If elec, what size threads?

Quick Reply: Carb Wire Harness