Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a Engine Limiter with motor/mid plates

Old 01-16-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a Engine Limiter with motor/mid plates

Running a motor plate, mid plate, and poly trans mount. Will I need an engine limiter to prevent front to back movement. Something from the block or midplate to the firewall or frame.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Banned

Not if ya are using a mid plate.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to hijack but I have a related question. When using a mid plate it mounts between the engine and transmission right? Well is there a spacer tha would have to run between the flywheel and torque converter? I know I will plate my motor eventually but would like to do it now rather than wait to pull the motor out again.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:25 PM
FormerVendor

Yes you need a limiter. I would run it from the block to the frame.

Originally Posted by MrElectric03

Hate to hijack but I have a related question. When using a mid plate it mounts between the engine and transmission right? Well is there a spacer tha would have to run between the flywheel and torque converter? I know I will plate my motor eventually but would like to do it now rather than wait to pull the motor out again.

Thanks!
Yes you would need to run a spacer between the flywheel and converter if your converter was not already set up for a midplate.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MrElectric03

Thanks!
if your having a converter built for the application, you can have them add the additional clearance to the mount pads on the converter and the longer hub...
you could shim it as well... but then you have to measure each shim so they are all identical in thickness and stack them which i dont like...with the converter pulled back with shims the hub may not be fully centered...
i think its easier to have it built in.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

When running a mid plate the converter needs to be built to have the proper spacing.

If you are using a motor plate ONLY, no mid plate and a poly tranny mount yes you need a torsional limiter to stop the motor from moving forward and backwards, if you are running a mid plate and a motor plate I wouldn't bother with the torsional support, both plates together will do the job. Especially if you make both out of a good solid 1/4 inch material, and your tabs on the frame rails are built good and heavy duty.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm running a madman mid-plate which is only .100 thick steel.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
if your having a converter built for the application, you can have them add the additional clearance to the mount pads on the converter and the longer hub...
you could shim it as well... but then you have to measure each shim so they are all identical in thickness and stack them which i dont like...with the converter pulled back with shims the hub may not be fully centered...
i think its easier to have it built in.
I agree, all the threads ive read on motor and mid plates it was never mentioned, and while im still learning about autos but I know there is no way to space the trans and not have some kind of spacer on the TC.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lt1badbird
i'm running a madman mid-plate which is only .100 thick steel.
You can ask Brian if you want, but he is going to tell you the same thing most likely. You need to run a limiter.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was starting to think i might need to, which is why i made this thread. Where do you suggest coming off of and then just bolted with like a 4x4 plate to the firewall?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you are running motor plates of any combo, you don't need a torsional limiter, but you do usually need a travel limiter to keep the eng/trans from trying to move front/back in the car upon launch and braking. a poly trans mount would probably suffice for a limiter in a car that doesn't 60 foot that well, but will be hard on the mount. its always a good idea to run a limiter of some sort if you are on motor plates and not mounts. ^^ as said above, if you have motor plates, you cannot use a solid trans mount... it will break the trans case usually.

as far as what to use for a limiter is different from various applications. usually a plate and tabs on the firewall or frame rail to the block/head is plenty good. normally use one on both sides of the engine. a small tube with heim joints in both end works well.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Eric!
Old 01-17-2010, 06:02 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah that's how we do them also. We come off the frame and go to a empty bolt hole on the block where there is clearance for a rod and heim joints.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I need a Engine Limiter with motor/mid plates