Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny removal tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny removal tips?

well, after fighting with the converter install for 8 hours over the last 3 days i thought i was almost half way done when i realized that the tranny will not come off the back of the motor. all of the bolts are out and the tranny will move some but wont come off. does anybody have any tips or tricks that i should try, other than a piece of wood and big *** hammer (unless that is the approved method). thanks for any help
Old 12-20-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

they can sometimes stick on the pins but there is a good chance you dont have all the bolts, trust me i know someone that made the mistake of trying to get the tranny off without getting all the bolts off
Old 12-20-2003, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a small mallet to tap on the alignment pins.

BTW.. are you absolutely sure you've got all (9) the bolts out?

Last edited by WILWAXU; 12-20-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

make shure you have the engine suppored . i usually have good luck supporting the engine with a floor jack and use the tranny jack for the trans. i usualy jack the trans jack up so its supporting the weight of both engine and trans. then slowly jack up the engine jack so its taking the weight off of the trans jack slowly then try to wiggle them loose if not jack up the engine a little more than try to wiggle em loose again... keep on doing this untill they sepperate or untill the engine jack is supporting all of the weight of both....... if this doesent work break out the mallett...
more often than not its the pins binding because the engine is putting too much weight on the trans of vise versa.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have all the bolts out stick a screwdriver between the motor and the tranny...there is a small slit on the bottom in the center where the tranny/motor meet...they go around the whole thing...

make sure you have all the bolts out

make sure you have all three converter/flexplate bolts out too
Old 12-21-2003, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you have all the bolts out, when it was my first time I missed one bolt on the top ,and after hours of strugling I got a miffor and finally saw it, i belive that the 4l60 has 7 bolts.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:31 PM
Teching In

well i double checked and all of the bolts were taken out, tried for another couple of hours with no success, so i got a guy from the neighborhood tranny shop to take a look at it. he checked it over and said we did everything right and tried himself to get the tranny off the motor, but it just wouldnt come off. guess they cast the block, converter and tranny all at once because it is stuck on there really good.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know when i use ti have a 6 speed in my car i took the tranny off the bellhousing and i had a very hard time getting the bellhousind off the block. The onlything that was keeping it on there was the alingment pins. There was corrosion on the pins keeping it on there so just take a rubber mallet or a dead blow hammer. I hit it on for little jab a screw drive between the ht some the step up beigger screw drivers. But i am not prying with screw drivers. Good luck
Old 12-23-2003, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

You do have the converter loose right? I'm just thinking that the converter is holding the tranny in somehow.

I dunno good luck!!

Josh S.