Got into a fender bender today...

Old 01-17-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Got into a fender bender today...

Got into a fender bender early today while on my way to the range, and now I need the part number for the driver’s side front fender. Part number I have is 10419546, can anyone confirm this for a ’00 camaro? Also, I’m trying to decide whether to pay the deductible (~$500), or just settle for cash from the guy who hit me. About how much would it cost for a new fender plus paint? I’d install the part myself (I like working on my car).
Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 PM

probably 200 for the fender and some where around 150-2 for the paint. difficult to install with out the right body tools
Old 01-17-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

i would just go through insurance.. unless you get a hookup on paint.. the cost of blending the fender your looking at more like 800 or so..
Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i would let the body shop people do it, i bet they will do it better than you (as long as it's a good body shop) and you wont get a headache doing it... just take it to the body shop get a quote tell the guy how much it is and see what he says... but your OP doesnt make too much sense, was it your fault or his? cause you said something about paying a deductable but then you said "...or just settle for cash by the guy..." so i dont get it... what happend? and btw
Old 01-18-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

I know, I know, thread is worthless without pics. Here are a couple I just took right now. Not the best quality, but it's dark out.

No, it wasn't my fault, I was just a little too tired to post up the detailed story earlier. It happened in a whataburger parking lot, essentially the guy wasn't looking forward (was actually looking inside the whataburger to his left while driving) and hit me. Yes, I tried to honk, but the horn didn't sound because I pressed it towards the center of the steering wheel where the airbag deploys. The impact was only about 5-10mph, but still made a nasty sound. I have a witness, and the guy admitted to the cop that it was in fact his fault and stated he wasn't looking forward while driving.

So, best way is to go through the insurance co.?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

im sure they will just bondo it cause it doesnt seem to bad and repaint it. i say dont take it to insurance go get a estimate from a shop and im sure it wont be to much. that can be fixed withing a day or two
Old 01-18-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go through the insurance man. Alot less hassle, especially if he decides to change his mind and tell his insurance it's your fault or something.
Plus, it looks better on your part that you reported it, vs. if your insurance gets a call about a "fender bender" you were involved in, and never hears about it from you.
Just report it, whether you go through them or not, is your choice, but at least it's reported.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Krab
Also, I’m trying to decide whether to pay the deductible (~$500), or just settle for cash from the guy who hit me.

IF its not your fault, you dont pay a dime. he hit you, its his fault, HIS insurance company pays to fix YOUR car. you wont have to pay a dime. the deductible is if YOU are at fault and have to fix your car..

im pretty sure that is correct anyways
Old 01-18-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

are the LS1 fenders Plastic like the LT1 cars fenders???? just curious, cause if not I'm sure a body shop will just pull that fender off and "salvage" it, as in straighten it out and put filler over the low spots and spot blend the paint..
Old 01-18-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do they have insurance? Did you get their information? Was there a ticket written or a report? Their insurance will want to know all these things.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, they are plastic.

http://certifit.com/catalogs/AZ-DTX-GA-HTX.pdf

Front fender is $40
Old 01-18-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

^I've got a certifit fender on my car right now. It's not a "perfect" match...
Hard to tell, and I'm sure a body shop could make it look perfect, but just putting it on there's a slight gap/tight fit/unevenness where it meets the hood.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

they will replace the fender not fix it. the plastic flexes to much to bondo it
Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You use epoxy, not bondo.. That's probably a $400 job..
Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02ws666

IF its not your fault, you dont pay a dime. he hit you, its his fault, HIS insurance company pays to fix YOUR car. you wont have to pay a dime. the deductible is if YOU are at fault and have to fix your car..

im pretty sure that is correct anyways
I wasn't aware that I didn't have to pay a dime if it is the other driver's fault... In that case, I'll definetely have the insurance fix it.

Originally Posted by redz_02
Do they have insurance? Did you get their information? Was there a ticket written or a report? Their insurance will want to know all these things.
Yes, the other driver does have insurance. No, I didn't get his information, but it will be on the report. No ticket written, but there was a report made and I'll be picking it up later this week.

I also have a witness to the accident, plus the guy straight out admitted to the LEO that it was his fault for not looking while driving.

So, I let my insurance co. know about the incident and his will pay for the repairs? This is my first time going through this so I'm a little green. Had a pretty good run though (27 years). Thanks for the advice guys, it really helps.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Shop around for the cheapest estimate and see if he just wants to settle out of pocket, that would be the best way for both of y'all. You don't have to wait and wait and wait for the insurance company to come through plus the other guys rates aren't raised..

Or you can get lucky like my friends sister and have the guy be a doctor and give you $25,000..
Old 01-18-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Or you can get lucky like my friends sister and have the guy be a doctor and give you $25,000..
Lol, this guy definetely wasn't a doctor. MD, or other...
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Krab
Lol, this guy definetely wasn't a doctor. MD, or other...
Lol I was just making up numbers. She got rear ended in her 97 V6 Camaro and the guy gave her enough money to get her a brand new Charger V6. Not sure on the details but still she's lucky..
Old 01-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Lol I was just making up numbers. She got rear ended in her 97 V6 Camaro and the guy gave her enough money to get her a brand new Charger V6. Not sure on the details but still she's lucky..
Damn! Dr. probbaly had a dead body in the trunk and had clients like one Mr. Michael Jackson.... nug nug wink wink...

Search this Thread