Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Why is a 9" such a mystery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is a 9" such a mystery?

I want to put a 9" in my car. But like everyone else, I am a cheap ***. So, that being said, I'm going piece-by-piece.

Who makes a 9" bolt-in housing? No center section, just the housing, and maybe axles.

What is the break-down of the years/generations that will fit in my car? I ask this, because various manufacturers have listed anywhere from 82-92, 82-02, and 93-02. Is there a difference, they all list as having a torque arm mount.

I have ABS. I know the 9" won't support it, so how do I delete the ABS, so the light will stay off?

What is the deal with the backing plates for the brakes? If I want stock brakes, I have to take mine off my car, correct? Is there other cars I can get them off of in the junkyard?

I need some answers, thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm_VS_VR-4
I want to put a 9" in my car. But like everyone else, I am a cheap ***. So, that being said, I'm going piece-by-piece.

Who makes a 9" bolt-in housing? No center section, just the housing, and maybe axles.

What is the break-down of the years/generations that will fit in my car? I ask this, because various manufacturers have listed anywhere from 82-92, 82-02, and 93-02. Is there a difference, they all list as having a torque arm mount.

I have ABS. I know the 9" won't support it, so how do I delete the ABS, so the light will stay off?

What is the deal with the backing plates for the brakes? If I want stock brakes, I have to take mine off my car, correct? Is there other cars I can get them off of in the junkyard?

I need some answers, thanks guys.
You got alot of bad info there. Search the vendors Midwest Chassis, Moser. Do a search here as all of your questions are asked daily.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

moser, quick time, midwest, im pretty sure anyone can sell you just the housing. youll need one to fit your specific year because trq arm mount is different. some can let you keep abs just depends. i used a abs delete kit from sjm. if you want to use your stock brakes then take your stock backing plates off and reuse them or yes you can get some at a junkyard if you want to sell your stock rear end as a complete unit.

i thought about doing what your doing and piecing it together but i said screw it and called up eric @ midwest and got me a fabbed 9" which will be here tomorrow actually
Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

I would love to just throw down cash and buy it all complete and do it at once, but money is an issue, and I know pricing individual pieces can get me one cheaper than a complete kit.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1116
Above is my Moser 9 inch housing/axle link which comes with the torque arm bracket.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=2227
Here is a link to info that I am putting together that is full of info. Bob
Old 01-18-2010, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I offer a housing, axle, torque arm package, or any combo you want. I discount the package when you buy it as a whole, but am willing to work with you if you are interested. I also am direct with Strange and Moser if you are interested in their product, and will get you the best deal possible on anything you need.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssvert99
I offer a housing, axle, torque arm package, or any combo you want. I discount the package when you buy it as a whole, but am willing to work with you if you are interested. I also am direct with Strange and Moser if you are interested in their product, and will get you the best deal possible on anything you need.
^^^ agreed, he gave me the best deal as i just bought a rear, sway bar, trq arm and dshaft loop from him. i couldnt be happier with everything. money was tight my way too since i am a full time student as well but its not worth going half *** just save your money and do it one time and right.