Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Help

Ok so I have a 2000 M6 Z28.....STOCK........my question is Im looking to install a complete exhaust system and Im pretty set on GMMG but Im trying to figure out what size headers and why? Im looking at Kooks LTs but I dont know what size and what size Y pipe to use with them. Any suggestions and why would be greatly appreciated.....I know there is an article on here about all this but I cant seem to find it!!!.........HELP
Old 01-18-2010, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe kooks sells an offroad y pipe (no cats). the size of the headers doesnt matter unless your looking to squeeze out every bit of power. youll be fine with any size merge collector
Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and supposedly it's true with headers
but i went the the cheap end, 450$ shipped for stainless steel from LPP, they went in smooth without problems, look and sound great... as far as size, i've been told two things... "go big or go home" and also "unless you're planning on forced induction, the 1 3/4 is more than you'll need..."

hope that helps a bit
Old 01-18-2010, 03:04 AM
On The Tree

unless you're planning on forced induction, the 1 3/4 is more than you'll need..."

Can you tell me why the 1 3/4 is more than i'll need and why you're not recommending the 1 7/8?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 AM
MASS seller approved

1 7/8 is for bigger motor cars 370-383-408's etc..... not many people with a stock motor have them they dont want to lower toqrque down low 1 3/4 is the right size for a 346 btw i wouldnt waste the money on kooks unless i was buying there 2" headers hooker makes a great product i have 3 sets of pace setters the coating on them sucks i dont recomend them at all the reason i dont suggest kooks is they are over priced you can spend the money on other things like a 12 bolt or 9" that you WILL need since you have a M6
Old 01-18-2010, 03:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
1 7/8 is for bigger motor cars 370-383-408's etc..... not many people with a stock motor have them they dont want to lower toqrque down low 1 3/4 is the right size for a 346 btw i wouldnt waste the money on kooks unless i was buying there 2" headers hooker makes a great product i have 3 sets of pace setters the coating on them sucks i dont recomend them at all the reason i dont suggest kooks is they are over priced you can spend the money on other things like a 12 bolt or 9" that you WILL need since you have a M6
Thanks that makes sense and helps a lot....Im still a NUB.....I have been reading a lot and talking to people and they have been suggesting kooks....however I am also thinking about MAC headers as Ive heard decent things about those as well!!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We engine dyno tested 1 3/4" headers against 1 7/8" headers on a stock LS1 w/ a FAST intake. From about 3000 RPM on the larger primary header made more power all the way to peak RPM. From a performance standpoint, if it can do that on a stock motor, I would think it would shine even more with a cam only or heads/cam combo. If ya got the money I would go with the larger primary and you should be set for future mods as well!

Jon
Old 01-18-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pheer
the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and supposedly it's true with headers
but i went the the cheap end, 450$ shipped for stainless steel from LPP, they went in smooth without problems, look and sound great... as far as size, i've been told two things... "go big or go home" and also "unless you're planning on forced induction, the 1 3/4 is more than you'll need..."
hope that helps a bit
thats what i wanted to get but heard to many horror stories bout fitment issues. Darnet!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
Great i jus bought some coated pacesetters. bought them over lpp b/c i'll be installing them and wanted an easy install and got a good deal. How long did your coated pacesetters last?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
thats what i wanted to get but heard to many horror stories bout fitment issues. Darnet!!!!!!!

Great i jus bought some coated pacesetters. bought them over lpp b/c i'll be installing them and wanted an easy install and got a good deal. How long did your coated pacesetters last?
the ones i bought new for my tahoe were bubbled from pacesetter and tsp was waiting to hear back from pacesetter for over a week so i said **** it and just installed them,i got another set from a friend that he got on his car and they were installed in 06 and they look 10 years old now

btw when tsp engine tested the 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8 what if someone never planned on a fast? im sure if it would have had an ls6 intake it wouldnt have had as much air to push but IMO if you arnt gonna have a cam/heads/spray id stay with 1 3/4