General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help with 03 Bu.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 03 Bu.

Alright guys, here's whats up. This morning I went to start my car. 03 bu with the 3.1 v6. When I started it, it made a semi-loud ticking noise, sounds like it was coming from the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel rail, and valve cover area. It sounds more like it was coming from the fuel system. It's not piston slap, I already know what that sounds like cause it has it. It did go away after a few minutes. It was around 43 degrees ferinheight outside. Now, it had been raining very hard yesterday and last night and mostly sat. Now I was talking to my dad and he said it could be low oil pressure. It threw no codes, neither oil light came on, and its full on oil. I started it up again when it was cold and it had no problems later in the day. This is the first time it's ever made this noise and when it's colder than what it was when I started, I'll start it again to see if it does it again.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Bump.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Just started it and it was fine. It's been cold for a while and is less than 40 degrees out and it had no noise.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Launching!

yeah your valve train is starting to get play in it somewhere. Ive seen pushrod ends ground down into the rocker side the last intake I did. But I wouldnt really worry about it in cold temps, lots of cars start to make more noise than usual. otherwise a bottle of duralube with your next oil change will do the trick (temperarily)
Old 01-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I mean it now has over 98,500 miles on it and it's the original engine/tranny. I run full-synthetic 5w-30 oil and I change it every 6,000 miles. I need to change it when it hits 99,000. I started it up today and once again no problems, other than the annoying piston slap. Does anyone think it could just be a clogged filter? I literally only have to add oil about once or twice between every oil change and that's only like a quarter of a quart which isn't much. Thanks for the input pontiac. Even though it's not an LSX series engine, it's still nice to have an account here because everyone knows.... well, most people knows what they're talking about. Can someone else tell me a little bit more about Duralube?