Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTS-V starting issues

Ok fellas, im about tired of the intermittent starting issues with my car. I know some of you out there have experienced the EXACT same thing. I thought i had it fixed... and it happened again today. Had the clutch pushed in, no start. Kept the clutch pushed in, brought the tranny from N to 1 and then to 2. Attempted to start and vrooom! WTF...

My relay is pulling... EVERYTIME it should. Clutch pressed, relay pulls... clutch out, relay will not pull. So no clutch safety switch either.

My main voltage supply cable has good contact with absolutely no corrosion.

I just replaced the solenoid connector due to dry rot. (it fell apart in my hand when i was re-installing the starter after my motor mount swap). I cut back the harness until i had un-corroded (frayed/oxidized) wire and spliced on the new OEM pigtail harness.

Battery amperage is not the issue.

The only logical theory i can come up with is that i have an intermittent solenoid. Here is what i plan to do:

Your starter solenoid receives 12VDC when your starter relay pulls. Relay will only pull if the clutch pedal is pressed. I am going to tap into the fuse box and splice on a wire on the output side of the starter relay. Bring that wire into the cabin and wire up a 12V LED. When the relay pulls and supplies voltage to the solenoid, LED will illuminate. This is the only thing i can come up with to chase this damn ghost. When the starting issue comes back up, I will be able to tell if it is the starter solenoid or deeper into the relay pulling circuitry.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same issue but mine gave out last week and won't do anything but click... wish I new how to do everything u just said... I just purchased another starter in Tenn and just waiting for it to arrive so I can have my guy install it...
Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does it always start on the second crank on a cold start?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:55 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Hot or cold hasnt been the issue. Its been dead on me for well over a day. Today's episode was only a for a second and after the car had been shut off for about 25 minutes or so. The other times have been after complete cool down. I haven't yet diagnosed the issue to a certain situation or configuration.

I know i read a thread before about the ECU. But looking at the schematics, im not seeing where it could be the culprit since my relay is pulling. A disconnection of the solenoid plug and reconnection starts it everytime i have tried it.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Last time I had this issue, it was the battery. Sometimes it would start perfectly, sometimes nothing. Pull it out and get it tested.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Launching!

I had a loose battery post do something quite similar. It wasn't loose to the hand, but when I turned it with a wrench it was clearly not tight enough.

Quick Reply: CTS-V starting issues