General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

All you LT1 wizards....I need some advice on a rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All you LT1 wizards....I need some advice on a rack and pinion

The car is a 97 WS6. Stock front suspension save for the Strange drag shocks. Mileage is app 80k. Here's the problem: I have a good bit of slack in the steering. I looked at it but without ever working on a rack before, I can't spot the problem.

A friend looked at it and said I have a tack weld broken?? He says there's 3 of them on there and two are broken, causing the whole rack to move side to side when I turn the wheel. He's no mechanic by any means, just thought he'd try and help. He suggested I post it here.

Anyway, do you guys have any ideas? I know the opti's are one of a few given problems virtually every LT1 owner will experience. Is the broken rack and pinion another one?

Thx for the help fellas.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Play in your ball joints and or tie rods is the likely cause of sloppy steering, I would have it checked out, then if any are bad, they will also have to do the alignment. Then your car will be like brand new again.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres also a spot on the linkage that can wear and cause there to be some excessive play in the steering. Its like a $15 fix and some say headers cause it to go bad faster due to the heat. I cant remember who sells it but I would def try that.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Thx guys. I'm gonna get those things checked out and go from there. 'Preciate the help.....
Old 01-20-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack up the car and shake the tire from side to side and top to bottom and see what is loose. Also LT1's have a rag joint in the steering shaft going from the firewall to the rack. Sometime the stock rubber one will cook and have ALOT of play in it. Check it by having someone turn the steering wheel inside the car as you watch the shaft and the wheel. If the shaft turns but the wheel does not chances are the rag joint is bad.This is what transamws6 above you is talking about. Unbalanced Engineering makes an aluminum one to replace the rubber piece.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Thx Pork. Soon as the weather breaks, I'm going in the shop and do some investigating. See if the rag joint is actually the problem. 'Preciate the help.

Quick Reply: All you LT1 wizards....I need some advice on a rack and pinion