Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Wrecked my 98 TA (salvage question)

Old 12-21-2003, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wrecked my 98 TA (salvage question)

My car was in an accident the other night. No other cars are involved. No police report. No other persons in the car. Damage is as follows:

Front clip (both front fenders, hood, and nose)
Right rear quarter panel crushed
Windshield (broke when both airbags deployed)
2 wheels
1 tire
plastic trim below right door

I am not going to have my insurance get envolved with this.

Car has been towed to a new car dealership's bodyshop. Of course, they will not be able to look at it until Monday.

Well, I wonder if this car is worth repairing? Jeese, the airbags alone are going to cost big bucks.

If it's not worth repairing, I am stuck with it. I really don't want to go through the time and effort parting it out.

Who would I sell the complete car to? (I have another car, so I don't need to trade it)

And to think, this 98 TA has only 43,000 miles, TEA heads, cam, FLP headers, LS6 intake, etc. Like I said, I just don't want to part it out.

Any guesses as to the cost of repair with the above listed damage?

Thanks, (I am in a bad mood now)

Last edited by Tin Indian; 12-23-2003 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear this, Ron. I'm glad YOU'RE in one piece!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I am ok except my neck and jaw hurts from the airbag hitting me in the face. Those bags pack a punch! The explosive force from the passenger side bag even broke the windshied ...

I am thinking this wreck just cost me at least $10,000
Old 12-21-2003, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I hate to say this but I'm afraid your car is a total loss. Since you didn't file a police report I'm not sure how things will work from there but if I was you I would make an insurance claim. To repair your car you are probaley looking around $10,000 at the minimum. Probaley closer to $15,000. The insurance company would most likely salvage the car if they got there hands on it but at least you could get a replacement car. If you were to part the car out finding good buyers these days is hard. If you decide to sell the car the way it is now the street value of your car is probaley around $2,000-3,500. Let me know what happens Zach AIM: zmastr28
Old 12-21-2003, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could sell te whole car wrecked on Ebay or something, I've seen similar cars on there being sold for parts. If nothing other than what you mentioned above is damaged, your car is still worth ~$5000 in parts. I doubt you'll get that unless you part it out yourself, but you should be able to get a couple grand for it, again depending on the damage... Glad you're ok though, the car and its parts is replaceable.

Shawn
Old 12-21-2003, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I love your car. I'm very sorry to read this. I'm glad you weren't hurt. I think you should wait to see what the estimate is but you can get a lot of those parts from various sources much cheaper than what GM charges. Striker Automotive in TN has whole front clips usually and most of the other parts you'd need. I can get you their info if you need it.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

How many miles are on the drivetrain, did it get hurt in the wreck, I think if you took the LS1/Tranny out you could get 5k for it alone. Im sorry to hear that you wrecked it, it was a beautiful car. Good Luck

Wes
Old 12-21-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Keep the Faith

It really goes beyond the stated book value of your car. It really depends on what the car is worth to you. From what you stated, I'd say that the car can definitely be repaired. I've restored cars that were in two pieces, seperate halves. Don't let some sheetmetal damage make you throw in the towel. You could always bring the car back to better than it was, kinda' make it a project undertaking. You could take this misfortune, and make something positive from it; become an expert on the design of the F-body; put a bad *** suspension and brakes on it; a killer custom paint job. Be careful what some of the guys here tell you, they just want parts from your car.

Keep the faith.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tin Indian
Thanks, I am ok except my neck and jaw hurts from the airbag hitting me in the face.
Sorry to hear that. Glad you're ok. Were you wearing your seatbelt? The reason i ask is back when i had my Z28 i got rocked by a F250 on a highway. I never once came in contact with the airbag because of my seatbelt. Just curious.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

as long as there is no frame damage you can pick up a hood, front bumper and fenders off of ebay. airbags you can find for sale on the "for sale section" for like $50-$100. Paint and labor will probably cost you the most.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kev98Ta
Sorry to hear that. Glad you're ok. Were you wearing your seatbelt? The reason i ask is back when i had my Z28 i got rocked by a F250 on a highway. I never once came in contact with the airbag because of my seatbelt. Just curious.
No seat belt. It was really more of a side impact. Slid sideways into a concrete barrier.

I have a bad feeling the frame (unibody) is bent. Not sure, but I think in may be. The left rear wheel is sticking out of the wheel well farther than the right. There is also a wider gap between the left side of the hatch / left rear quarter panel seam than the right side seam (even though the right rear quarter panel is crushed).

No engine / trans damage. Like I said, the car has 43,000 miles. I bought it new. Burns no oil.

Last edited by Tin Indian; 12-21-2003 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Tin Indian
Who would I sell the complete car to?
Sorry to hear of your accident!

As far as who to sell it too I have no definitive answer, but I have seen sponsors like T-Byrne parting out wrecked cars such as yours, so maybe talking to someone like Tom could get U a better answer.

I would think for the right price some of these sponsors would buy your car (if not damaged frame wise) to turn in to a shop/drag/project car, just a thought.

Good luck
Old 12-21-2003, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks, i got my car from a salvage yard and repaired it, it came out like brand new but it was a clean front hit, not even suspension damage, check the roof and see if it is buckled or are any other akward things going on. my airbags went of and i got them for pretty cheap, but the dashboard brand new is like 900 bucks. I could go on and on about what we did to the car and stuff but if u want hit me up on aim, my sn is bodyblaste. I got my car for 10,000 with a front clip
Old 12-21-2003, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Just part the car out and sell me the intake.

Josh S.

On a more serious note: I'm really sorry to hear about it and its good that your not hurt!
Old 12-21-2003, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

my car is a 2000 TA and my brother had an accident in it
damage were the fenders , nos , hood ,Windshield

i fixed the car and cost me
fenders 150 for both (used)
nos 200 (used)
hood 400 (ws6 used
labor was $800
i didn't fix the airbag
its my race car now
Old 12-22-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Fenders are 135 brand new from GM
Find someone who bought a WS6 hood for their T/A and you got a cheap hood..
Bumper cover is like 300+
Sorry to hear about your car..
Old 12-22-2003, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

If you want to sell it, PM me. I'm interested in it if you really want to get rid of it. I could have the $$$ asap.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

What happened?

Why didnt you report the accident? Why arent you going through insurance? Just curious?

glad to hear you are ok.

Chris
Old 12-22-2003, 03:32 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to hear about this Ron. Glad you are okay. I'm kind of picky about wrecked cars, if any of my previous vehicles got damaged I always wanted to get rid of them because they weren't *perfect* any more. Just me I suppose.

One less WS7 on the road, at least you helped make all the other rare ones go up in value

Tony
Old 12-22-2003, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Didnt you just get that damn car? What happened man?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wrecked my 98 TA (salvage question)