Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high idle and surging at low rpm need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default high idle and surging at low rpm need help

ok so i was having my car tuned, and the tuner call me and told me i have a vaccum leak or something, and he couldnt get it to idle right. so rather than have him fix it i decided to try and to it myself, so i have replaced the intake gaskets, tps, and iac, its a fast 90/90 so i took it apart and checked for cracks and could not see any cracks. (and yes i have the button head bolts on the valley cover). but anyway i could no see any cracks what so ever. i looked at my brake booster hose and didnt see any problems there. i dont have a pvc system so im good there. no air or egr so im good there. checked the vaccum line at the rear passenger side of the intake. couldnt find any problems there. anyone got any idea what to check next!! i dont think its the tune, the tuner i took it to has a very good rep! but i gotta fix this issue so i can finish having him tune it. im puzzled. any help would be awsome
Old 01-18-2010, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get it all back together, let it idle and spray some carb cleaner or brake clean around the base of the intake and all the lines. also check to make sure the lines are connected in the right spot. you never know, an evap line to the fuel tank maybe off. at least this might help you get closer to your problem
Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Has the car been tuned before; or was this the initial tune? Before throwing more parts at it you need to datalog the car to see what's actually going on. Is it throwing any codes?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

sorry the high idle is when the car is in nuetral and rolling and it hangs at 2k while the car is rolling to a stop once the car comes to a stop the idle slowly goes down. and yeah i tuned it with hp tuners a year and a half ago or so. just to kinda get it close. and no codes
Old 01-18-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

i know everyone says that the loose map sensor is nothin to worry about but could it be that?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
sorry the high idle is when the car is in nuetral and rolling and it hangs at 2k while the car is rolling to a stop once the car comes to a stop the idle slowly goes down. and yeah i tuned it with hp tuners a year and a half ago or so. just to kinda get it close. and no codes
Mine was doing that on my old cam setup. It really only did that when the car was cold. Ever since the cam swap and new tune it hasnt done it since. It either was something in my old tune or something holding up the throttle blade.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

i know everyone says that the loose map sensor is nothin to worry about but could it be that?
Definitely a problem. It needs to be secured tightly. This is how I have mine done. No problems after countless miles.
Attached Thumbnails high idle and surging at low rpm need help-fast-map-sensor.jpg  
Old 01-18-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

ok so if i stop on a hill and let the idle in neutral come down to normal (1000 rpm) , if i let off the brake and let the car roll the rpm automaticly pick up to about 1500 rpm. i have a m6 by the way
Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

if i let off the brake the rpm automaticly pick up to about 1500 rpm.
Sounds like a vacuum leak. How loose is the MAP sensor?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

iv heard some people on here say it might be a speed sensor on a similar problem like this. anyone got any imput on that?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Sounds like a vacuum leak. How loose is the MAP sensor?
you can wiggle it with your fingers. but doesnt it get sucked down once the car is running? what would be a good way to get it in there tighter?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

you can wiggle it with your fingers. but doesnt it get sucked down once the car is running? what would be a good way to get it in there tighter?
Look at the picture above I posted. This will keep constant pressure on the MAP sensor so there is always a positive seal between the sensor and intake. Even though the MAP sensor has a small orange ribbed gasket that goes over the orifice for a good seal, you still need some pressure to hold it into place. The stock GM manifolds do a great job, unlike the FAST (at least the 90mm) which has no clip to hold it into place. Fix that before continuing the tune.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Look at the picture above I posted. This will keep constant pressure on the MAP sensor so there is always a positive seal between the sensor and intake. Even though the MAP sensor has a small orange ribbed gasket that goes over the orifice for a good seal, you still need some pressure to hold it into place. The stock GM manifolds do a great job, unlike the FAST (at least the 90mm) which has no clip to hold it into place. Fix that before continuing the tune.
ok, damn so i gotta take the intake back off now and try to rig something up. could the fact that i dont have any type of pvc or air on the throtle body have anything to do with it. i have a vaccum cap on both of them. and breathers on both valve covers
Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

It`s not a vacuum leak, it`s the new tune. Use your old tune or find another tuner. My car did the same thing.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6Power
It`s not a vacuum leak, it`s the new tune. Use your old tune or find another tuner. My car did the same thing.
I did kinda lean toward that, i just think the guy is a real respectable tuner, im not gonna say who it is, but i have never heard one thing bad about him, the shop only deals with mostly lsx's so i figured they knew what they where talking about. i just dont know another tuner in my area honestly
Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

i think i figured it out. there is no hole on my trottle body blade. should i drill one?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

no do not drill a hole...

if he can't tune for the throttle body the way it is meant to be done, then I would find a new tuner
Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

wow i drilled the hole, and returned the blade to fully closed and no more hanging idle!!!!! wow. might need to go alittle larger on the hole though.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stop drilling holes in your throttle body.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Stop drilling holes in your throttle body.
if the stock unit has a hole in it, then why not.

Quick Reply: high idle and surging at low rpm need help