Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans not seperating from engine. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans not seperating from engine. Am I doing something wrong?

Hey guys, I got the bolts removed from the transmission and it's supported. Im trying to back the trans off the engine but it's not budging. Should I just whack it a few times with a hammer or what?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go over it again and make sure you got all 8 bolts out. Wiggle it from side to side to free it from the bellhousing guide pins, sometimes they get a little stuck.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Don't hammer. Ensure you have all bolts free and use a small pry bar. Should separate them easily.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

I wiggled the trans quite a bit and kept it as level as possible before mine budged. There are also two indentations at the bell/trans where you can pry if needed. When reinstalling, it helped me to wiggle the engine and trans at the same time stab it in - oh, use anti-seize on the dowel pins...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

i had to use a full size crowbar in between the starter opening and the oil pan to pry mine apart. i was scared to death until it finally moved a lil. then it slid right off. the definately get stuck on there.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Am I doing this wrong? I have the bolts disconnected from the bellhousing but this bitch is just not moving. I tried kicking it and I tried prying it, but it will just not break loose. WTF?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd bet it's the dowel pins holding it on. They can get seized pretty easily making it a bear to get off. Get some penetrating lube like PB or Kroil and soak the dowels for a few hours then try again. Get towards the tailhousing and rock it back and forth slightly from back there, if you have an extra set of hands available have them pry slightly from the indentations on both sides of the bellhousing while you do it. It should come off.

Also, it's usually easier to pull the trans, then pull the bellhousing...
Old 01-19-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I'd bet it's the dowel pins holding it on. They can get seized pretty easily making it a bear to get off. Get some penetrating lube like PB or Kroil and soak the dowels for a few hours then try again. Get towards the tailhousing and rock it back and forth slightly from back there, if you have an extra set of hands available have them pry slightly from the indentations on both sides of the bellhousing while you do it. It should come off.

Also, it's usually easier to pull the trans, then pull the bellhousing...
I think that's what it is. Additionally, the tranny jack Im using can't angle enough to hold the entire transmission, so most of the weight is resting on the rear of the tranny jack. I used a 2X4 stud to try to even it out towards the front.

I have the engine supported by a floor jack, and I have the tranny supported by the transmission jack. All 8 bolts or out, and I'm more or less certain that the entire transmission weight is centered on the tranny jack. When I try to wiggle the tranmission, the entire engine assembly and tranmission wiggles back. I can see the headers moving when I wiggle the transmission.

An extra pair of hands would be great, but mysteriously every time I try to get help people are busy. My mechanic buddy is always "about to grab lunch" every time I call him. Doesn't matter if it's 10 AM, 12 PM, or 2 PM.

I always have to do this **** solo, it's so depressing.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I started to pull bolts for the bell housing because I can't get the tranny loose, but the last bolt is located top dead center on top of the bellhousing. FML.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

**** this ****. I'm going to hire a mobile mechanic who can do this for me.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
I started to pull bolts for the bell housing because I can't get the tranny loose, but the last bolt is located top dead center on top of the bellhousing. FML.
jack the motor up to tilt the trans down, you should be able to get up there with lotsa' extensions.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let the tranny hang free with about an inch under just in case. The weight should allow the engine/trans to rotate downward so you can get to the last bolt.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, we got it out. That was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life, ever. I weep for anybody who has to drop a transmission.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Okay, we got it out. That was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life, ever. I weep for anybody who has to drop a transmission.
**** I have to do that next!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

I didn't have trouble getting the tranny off, but the bellhousing took me a while.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I could say the same
Old 02-11-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya the first time it comes apart is the worst. after that...not so bad. i helped a buddy pull his trans 4 times. with a lift we were actually able to have the trans out in less than half an hour. but the lift and the fact he was a tech at a dealership (tons of useful tools) made the difference. it took me about 2 hours doing it on the garage floor with my lack of tools.

when on the lift we found that unbolting the trans from the bellhousing was WAY easier.

watching him suffer really made me decide i wasn't doing **** to this m6 car until it absoulutely needed it. nor would i try to skimp anywhere. we went through the pilot bearing woes, then bad trans woes, then new clutch shimmed flywheel woes...then the 4th time we got it hahaha. then he sold the car like 2 mos later
Old 02-11-2011, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, it takes 30mins to get my trans out. It has never fought me at all.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i pull t56's by my self. done several GTO's my self also, on the floor with nothing more than a floor jack.

I always take the trans off the bellhousing first, then pull the behousing off the engine to get to the clutch and so on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans not seperating from engine. Am I doing something wrong?