Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

noisey shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noisey shifter

hey guys.. im looking to quiet down the noise coming from my shifter area. its gotten louder since ive owned the car and drove it with a bad clutch for so long. i now have a new clutch (thank god) but my shifter area is getting loud enough to annoy me. i spoke to my mechanic and he said the quickest thing to do is to pull off the shifter and pour in some heavy gear oil. i kno im probably gonna need tranny wqork to really fix this problem but im looking to buy some time and at least make it quieter in the car, in have enough rattles to deal with. so i have two questions:

1. Does this gear oil idea sound legit?
2. if so, how hard is it to pull off the shifter and do this? im not afraid to do it myself. i installed my own LT's and other odds and ends so im just looking for some guidance

-Adam
Old 01-20-2010, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

nobody has any input on this??
Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

well the shifter is pretty simple to pull off. pull out the center console and the rubber boot over the shifter and there will be 4 bolts holding the shifter to the tranny. as for the gear oil stuff im not quite sure.. try giving tick a pm and see what there opinion is.. hope that helped some!!