General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What's wrong?

Ok, every now and then when I start my Camaro the odometer resets and all the guage needles sweep. I check my radio and all the stations are still programmed in Everything seems tight on the battery. My other problem is my O2 sensors. I tried several different O2's on my driver side and none of them seem to work. I even have a brand new Bosch 13111 and it still doesn't work. I cleaned the connector with electrical cleaner with no luck. What do you guys think the problems are?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This could be a sign of a failing alternator. Should also check the notches on your belt tensioner to make sure you are within spec and don't have a loose belt.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i remember hearing the answer for the gauge sweep and odometer reset, or at least reading about it in my service manual.
if it doesn't get posted, PM & email to remind me and I'll look it up for you when i can,

it would not be a sign of a failing alternator, since it's happening when the ignition key is turned to run and the engine is not running = alternator not spinning.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Common problem on 99 F bodys odometer resets. make a search and you will find. Could be a bad battery. There's a TSB for it as well.