Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front spring isolators??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front spring isolators??

i have some strano springs and koni 4/4 struts that i'm going to install soon... i'm getting new strut mounts also and i want to have a complete assembly so i can just take my old ones out and pop the new ones in and be done with it... in the pic on the link i know i will need part #8 but i need to know which number is the lower spring isolator?... besides the strut mount, upper and lower isolators is there anything else i will need in order to make my front strut assemblies complete?... tia

http://www.gmpartsdepartment.com/par...layCatalogid=0
Old 01-20-2010, 04:14 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

thats not an accurate diagram at all.
if you don't want to reuse your existing parts expect to spend at least $200 on the parts.
do a search.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

easiest thing to do would be to just buy the complete assemblies out of a totaled car and use the parts you need off of there. the GM upper strut mounts are better than pretty much any replacement mounts anyway, and it'd probably save you some money.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

i've searched already and can't find what i'm looking for, i even looked all through my service manuals and they only show the complete assembly and not individual parts... i'm aware of the cost but i can get a good deal on gm parts through my work so it's not an issue... soooo if anyone can answer my question i would appreciate it
Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

your question cannot be answered with the diagram you provided because it does not show the correct parts for your setup. there are 2 parts to the top mount and 1 lower spring isolator on each side. get an accurate diagram and we can point you to the parts you need.

you need to use a spring compessor to assemble the new shocks anyway, so you really don't have any great advantage by not disassembling the old ones and reusing the existing parts. just a lot more cost. do what you want, but get an accurate parts diagram first.

Last edited by pjb; 01-21-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pjb
your question cannot be answered with the diagram you provided because it does not show the correct parts for your setup
well where can you get one then?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
well where can you get one then?
I think he is talking about the plastic ring that the spring sits on so it doesn't rub against the shock itself (metal to metal). You can still use your old ones unless they are shattered to pieces.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bene
I think he is talking about the plastic ring that the spring sits on so it doesn't rub against the shock itself (metal to metal). You can still use your old ones unless they are shattered to pieces.

Correct, however the OP was trying to get his new parts assembled as a single unit and just do a swap without having to do the "spring compression mambo". I'm in the middle of doing the same job myself, and I was also trying to avoid having to disassemble the old shocks and springs, since I was replacing everything. However, I had to take the old assembly apart to get the plastic ring that you're referring to.

I also had to dink around with finding replacement grease boots for my upper ball joints. I've only taken the driver's side apart at this time, and the grease boot was torn. These aren't the OE b/js, and they don't need to be replaced, so spending $60 each for new Moog parts, just to get new boots, wasn't an option. I think I've got a solution in the works, using Energy Suspension boots.

Now if I can just tear myself away from this computer in my 62* kitchen, and go out into the 25* garage and get to work......
Old 01-21-2010, 07:32 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Correct, however the OP was trying to get his new parts assembled as a single unit and just do a swap without having to do the "spring compression mambo". I'm in the middle of doing the same job myself, and I was also trying to avoid having to disassemble the old shocks and springs, since I was replacing everything. However, I had to take the old assembly apart to get the plastic ring that you're referring to.

I also had to dink around with finding replacement grease boots for my upper ball joints. I've only taken the driver's side apart at this time, and the grease boot was torn. These aren't the OE b/js, and they don't need to be replaced, so spending $60 each for new Moog parts, just to get new boots, wasn't an option. I think I've got a solution in the works, using Energy Suspension boots.

Now if I can just tear myself away from this computer in my 62* kitchen, and go out into the 25* garage and get to work......
you still have to compress the new springs to assemble it, even if you had all new parts available. why are people so scared to use spring compressors? even the loaners from autozone are adequate.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by pjb
you still have to compress the new springs to assemble it, even if you had all new parts available. why are people so scared to use spring compressors? even the loaners from autozone are adequate.
In all honesty, I've been doing spring swaps for over 30 years, so it doesn't scare me, however I do give a coil spring a lot of respect. There's a potential for a LOT of energy to be released, if done incorrectly. In my "morning fog", I forgot that the new spring would have to be compressed for installation anyway, but I suppose that having both new assemblies set up and "ready to go" would be helpful. In my case, if I had those plastic insulators available, I could have assembled my stuff in my basement, where it's warmer....

The other thing, I sort of have someone who's interested in buying my Eibachs and Bilsteins. It would have made them an easy sale, if I could have left the front shocks/springs together. Unfortunately, since that design of upper shock mount/control arm bracket is such a "rust magnet", I think I may have "FUBARED" the upper shaft of the shocks while cutting the retaining nut off. If I can't repair/renew the threads, the front shocks are trash......
Old 01-21-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

yeah it has nothing to do with me being scared of using a spring compressor or any of your other assumptions... i know the work involved and am capable of doing it, i just want to save time since i don't have alot of it, my car has 140k on it so my strut mounts aren't in the best shape anyway, and i could sell my complete assemblies quicker and maybe get a little more money out of it, so i have my reasons, not that i need to explain every little minute detail until it's up to someone's par before they give me an answer... i didn't ask for any advice, i only asked which part i am needing... not trying to be a dick but if you're not going to help i'd appreciate it if you don't post in my thread... thanks to the ones that are trying
Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Veteran

yeah it has nothing to do with me being scared of using a spring compressor or any of your other assumptions... i know the work involved and am capable of doing it, i just want to save time since i don't have alot of it, my car has 140k on it so my strut mounts aren't in the best shape anyway, and i could sell my complete assemblies quicker and maybe get a little more money out of it, so i have my reasons, not that i need to explain every little minute detail until it's up to someone's par before they give me an answer... i didn't ask for any advice, i only asked which part i am needing... not trying to be a dick but if you're not going to help i'd appreciate it if you don't post in my thread... thanks to the ones that are trying

In that case, maybe you should simply consult directly with a GM dealer's parts department, then you wouldn't have to deal with anybody's "friendly advice".....
Old 01-22-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Leadfoot is right, people arent trying to be dicks, just curious about motives. I mean nobody is even talking bad about you geez......lighten up OP
Old 01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Leadfoot is right, people arent trying to be dicks, just curious about motives. I mean nobody is even talking bad about you geez......lighten up OP

Thank you!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Thank you!

X3
get your advice somewhere else.
and like I said at first, your diagram isn't close to the actual parts.
get a new diagram that shows the actual parts for your car and ask again, nicely next time.

Last edited by pjb; 01-22-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

for anyone who cares both the upper and lower spring isolators have been discontinued by gm... they showed none left in the u.s. on the uppers and luckily had 2 of the lowers at a local warehouse and a few more scattered throughout the united states... the part # on the lowers is 22113814 and for the uppers i went with moog part # k6573... both parts were $7 each and i got ac delco strut mounts for $75 each so i only spent a little over $180 for everything... hopefully that can actually help someone out then this thread won't be totally worthless
Old 02-05-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is the same diagram that GM has. I just got all new stuff when I did my swap the other day. Car quest has good lower perches and isolators if that is an option. Those are the ones on my car. Ask them to show you a picture of the part before you buy. Mine came with both pieces you need. The diagram is incorrect at GM that is where I went first to find the parts. The koni's come with a perch, so I know you only need the isolator, but if I remember they were cheap anyway. Otherwise a junk yard is probably your only option.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:59 PM

for anyone who cares both the upper and lower spring isolators have been discontinued by gm... they showed none left in the u.s. on the uppers and luckily had 2 of the lowers at a local warehouse and a few more scattered throughout the united states... the part # on the lowers is 22113814 and for the uppers i went with moog part # k6573... both parts were $7 each and i got ac delco strut mounts for $75 each so i only spent a little over $180 for everything... hopefully that can actually help someone out then this thread won't be totally worthless
Just wanted to say thanks for this info. Basically doing the same you did, but with destroyed parts and won’t be salvaging anything.

Also, the moog pn for the lower isolator is k80927.

Quick Reply: Front spring isolators??