Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wires that control/illuminate the steering wheel radio controls

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wires that control/illuminate the steering wheel radio controls

I have a 99 firebird LS1 with the monsoon stereo. I currently installed a pioneer n2 navigation system and would like to use the stock steerign wheel controls. In the back of the radio there are two wires (Green and Blue) that appear to have been snipped and go to nothing. The steerign wheel controls do not illuminate when the dash is illuminated or when the headlights are on. the only two wires that are not connected to the radio harness are the Green and Blue wire. from previous posts I have found out that the blue wire is for the radio controls on the steering wheel, but i am unsure if the green wire is for the illumination. Can anyone fill me in on what wire is for the steering wheel radio control illumination? Is there list of which wires are for which? Thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kb274868123
I have a 99 firebird LS1 with the monsoon stereo. I currently installed a pioneer n2 navigation system and would like to use the stock steerign wheel controls. In the back of the radio there are two wires (Green and Blue) that appear to have been snipped and go to nothing. The steerign wheel controls do not illuminate when the dash is illuminated or when the headlights are on. the only two wires that are not connected to the radio harness are the Green and Blue wire. from previous posts I have found out that the blue wire is for the radio controls on the steering wheel, but i am unsure if the green wire is for the illumination. Can anyone fill me in on what wire is for the steering wheel radio control illumination? Is there list of which wires are for which? Thanks
Correct the blue is the signal wire from the wheel controls and I believe the green is the illumination wire. Check your harness for the corresponding missing wires. Was the harness hacked up for another radio before you bought it as some people cut out the stock harness to connect a new radio and since aftermarket HU's don't work with the wheel controls (unless you have an interface module like the PAC SWI-x) then they leave these unplugged or cut.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The blue is for the control wire. The green I have no clue. I just put a new HU in my car last week and my wheel controls still light up. I left both blue and green unhooked and capped them off. My guess is that either your bulbs in the controls are no good or you blew a fuse in the box. There are two 1amp fuses that are used for steering wheel controls. The one in the bottom of the fuse box provides power and the top in the box provides the lighting. In my car they were black 1 amp fuses.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Just check both of the 1A fuses and they were not tripped. I find it highly unlikely that all of the bulbs wore out on all of the buttons. What are the color wires that come off of the buttons? which color is for illumination?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The steering wheel illumination power is provided on a gray with black wire in the steering column that comes from the fuse panel and doesn't go anywhere near the head unit. The switches send a signal to the head unit through the dark blue wire.

The switch illumination circuit is very simple - power from fuse 13 (STG WHL CNTL) goes up the column, through the clock spring (air bag module coil) to the switch bulbs (two on each side) and then back down the column to ground. It is not impossible for the bulbs to burn out at the same time due to a power surge but I would recheck the fuse. Never trust a visual inspection of a fuse, always use a tester or replace with a known good fuse.

The blue wire in the Pioneer harness has nothing to do with the steering wheel switches - it is the power signal for a power antenna. The steering wheel switch wire is the dark blue wire in the factory harness. It can be connected to the remote jack on the back of the Pioneer HU using an adapter such as the SWI-PS.

The light green wire coming from the Pioneer HU is the parking brake sensor wire - it should be connected to the parking brake switch so that certain functions will work when the car is parked and the parking brake is engaged (video, GPS programming).
Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kb274868123
Just check both of the 1A fuses and they were not tripped. I find it highly unlikely that all of the bulbs wore out on all of the buttons. What are the color wires that come off of the buttons? which color is for illumination?
i got the same problem, no illumination of the steering wheel controls on my 96 trans am.

Where are the 1A fuses located?????
in the radio or in the both steering wheel controls??

Greg
Old 01-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

On LS model f-bodies the fuse is in the fuse panel. I don't think LT models have the same fuse.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
On LS model f-bodies the fuse is in the fuse panel. I don't think LT models have the same fuse.
here my fuse cover register, trans am 96 LT1

the illumionation on the st. wheels control and one or two lights for illumination on the volume button are not working, with the stock cd player.
otherwise the radio is working properly.

thanks
Greg
Attached Thumbnails Wires that control/illuminate the steering wheel radio controls-2011-11-24-12.11.26sm.jpg   Wires that control/illuminate the steering wheel radio controls-2011-11-24-12.11.41sm.jpg  
Old 01-13-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gregfire
here my fuse cover register, trans am 96 LT1

the illumionation on the st. wheels control and one or two lights for illumination on the volume button are not working, with the stock cd player.
otherwise the radio is working properly.

thanks
Greg
Do the controls still function? If they are not lighting up and don't work that is likely due to the clockspring malfunctioning.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Do the controls still function? If they are not lighting up and don't work that is likely due to the clockspring malfunctioning.
they work just fine, except the illumination on the steering wheel controls. any help?

Greg

Last edited by gregfire; 01-13-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: adding
Old 01-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Teching In

here the wiring from hanes book, no 1A fuses there..
probably there are fuses in the delco radio itself or both bulbs are blown??

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Wires that control/illuminate the steering wheel radio controls-neu-2.jpg  
Old 01-14-2012, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

there is a 1 amp fuse in that circuit
Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
there is a 1 amp fuse in that circuit
in the drawing? can you tell me where?

Greg
Old 01-14-2012, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

your hane's wiring diagram doesn't show it(maybe because its for a LT1) the Mitchell(98-02) diagram shows a 1amp fuse in the #13 slot in the fuse panel on the side of the dash. it protects the grey/black wire running to the steering wheel lights. just like Whitebird00 posted.

Last edited by JOHNNY59; 01-15-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The 93-97 models don't have the 1-amp fuse for steering wheel illumination that the 98-02 models do. The steering wheel control illumination is run off fuse #13 - a 5-amp fuse labeled I/P Dimmer that handles all of the instrument panel illumination.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No one has said anything yet, but it could just be your bulbs in the steering wheel controls, they are prone to burn out and to be replaced you have to take them apart and re solder the wires with a new bulb. A search will help you.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Teching In

thanks for the infos
i will check the bulbs.
its not a major thing but it is annoying during night driving
if you have no lights there.
Greg

Last edited by gregfire; 01-16-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: error

Quick Reply: Wires that control/illuminate the steering wheel radio controls