Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QA1vs KW V3

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QA1vs KW V3

I am building a car that can do everything. (drag high 10's autocross and road course drive coast to coast) Right now i am about 480hp 440tq to wheels on all motor. N0S soon????

I am having a hard time trying to decide what coil over kit to go with QA1 or Kw V3 both double adjust the kw has a progressave spring rate where the Qa1 is set. The KW comes with a life time warr. The Qa1 are rebuildable. I have been leaning to the side of the KW v3 but has anyone ever used them or has any kind of fead back on them??? I am open to all ideas some one please help
Old 01-21-2010, 07:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I noticed you are looking into a coil-over. Well I just wanted to leave you know what there is a few cars here running around with the 300lb front spring and both double and singles adjustable s on them and they work very well. Below is a link to show you what all we have to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...lqnkeihkkush52

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Brad
Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by afasttransam
I am building a car that can do everything. (drag high 10's autocross and road course drive coast to coast) Right now i am about 480hp 440tq to wheels on all motor. N0S soon????

I am having a hard time trying to decide what coil over kit to go with QA1 or Kw V3 both double adjust the kw has a progressave spring rate where the Qa1 is set. The KW comes with a life time warr. The Qa1 are rebuildable. I have been leaning to the side of the KW v3 but has anyone ever used them or has any kind of fead back on them??? I am open to all ideas some one please help
If you want the car to turn stay away from QA1s, they're a joke. They are built strictly for drag even though they advertise "for both", so it will have your car all over the place.
You don't need coil overs at all to have the car handle well, the koni/strano package is popular for a reason, its proven (unlike any other off the shelf setup) with results in auto-x.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWQHijkSU8
Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

I plan on going with the strano/koni set up..I do more shows than anything and really just wanted to lower my car..But at the track..my turd is all over..talked to Sam..and he has me sold on his stuff!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

I have a lot of bolt on suspension parts already on. My car has about 100k miles on stock shocks and springs. I figured if i am gonna do I gonna do it right the first time. I got a hook up on kw v3 brand new shipped from germany 1500$
Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

Its really hard to have the best of both worlds..But the Strano springs with Konis..seems to be awsome like I said..

Ride in a car with QA1s or similar and I bet you change your mind..Thats what it took for me. I wanted QA1s or something like that for a long time..road in a car..and its all over the road..every bump sucks..it wont corner..just doesnt feel solid really..

Now Iv never got a chance to ride in a car with the strano/koni set up but from what Iv read and who Iv talked to..thats the way to go. Sam told me something also that was a big mind changer..A guy swap out his coil over set up for the konis and acutally cut his best 60ft..

To me they seem closer to an all around set up..
Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

I drive my car every day. Its not a race car its just a fun toy. I really not looking for the lowering aspect of the coil over. The KW min lowering it .4" I might go to the drag strip twice a year. I have lots of friends in to the autocross and road course stuff. I really want the adjustability in case one day i am there and want to try it. I am starting to learn more about shocks and springs. Wouldent the progressave spring rate be better for more street driving?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if that is the case just get Koni Shocks and Strano Sway bars.

the shocks have two spring perches, the lower perch will allow the front to be lowered ~.75" while still using the stock springs. The shocks are adjustable anyway, most people don't mess with ride height very much once it is set.... If you aren't satisfied you can add springs and everything will stiffen up just that much more.

To even it out, do the hose mod and it will lower the rear ~.5-.75".
Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

I already have the hotckis sway bar kit and strut tower brace,edelbrock T.A. panhard bar and lower rear control arms, Slp sub frames. Best way to go would be new adj. shocks and new springs??
Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Talk to Sam Strano on here..he is the one youd want to talk about for autox and such..His stuff is for a direct replacement shock/spring package..it was more for handeling and ride comfort over racing..but it just happens to be a good all around set up..ask anyone on here that has truly owned a set..
Old 01-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the help gonna do more research before i do anything
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I appreciate the referrals there guys. I'm very proud to know that my customers are that happy they'll stand up and make recommendations. Thank you.

I also sell KW, and can do QA1 (but never like to). First off all, those sets are apples and oranges to the biggest degree possible. KW are handling dampers/springs, QA1's are drag setup. KW are mono-tubes and high-pressure gas-charged. QA1's are twin-tube and do not even have any sort of gas-charge to fight foaming.

Thinking those are at all similar because they are "coil-overs" is similar to thinking F-bodies and Mustangs are the same because they are both "pony-cars".... but here the difference is even bigger!

Oh... KW's not only have the warranty, but are also rebuildable... and all the adjustment happens on the piston which is much more sensitive than simply opening a bypass valve to the outer oil chamber which does not change how the oil moves through the piston, but simply forces more or less oil away. This is why QA1's get stiffer and softer, but are flummoxed by changes in the road surface. Say you have them firm and like it ok, but then you hit a sharp bump, or railroad tracks, what have you... It feels like a hammer hit the car from underneath. Turn them down to deal with those sort of impacts and the car becomes all floaty and vague.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

so if i gonna do a coilover kit for what i want the kw is the way to go?? if i just gonna do shocks and springs to the koni???? i can get kw for 1500$ ill have to price koni and springs and ill make up my mind from there
Old 01-22-2010, 01:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Koni's and my springs are much less than $1500.....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:47 AM
10 Second Club

Hey Sam Kinda off Topic but do you still have any springs in stock?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Hey Sam Kinda off Topic but do you still have any springs in stock?
Miracles of miracles, I do actually have some in stock! It's very hard to keep them in stock since I order small runs and so many folks want 'em.

Quick Reply: QA1vs KW V3