General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HORRIBLE issue with t/a and the rain.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HORRIBLE issue with t/a and the rain.

Everytime I drive the car in the rain and park for a short amount of time the car bogs for a few seconds and then takes off and never does it again. Well not so much this time, gave EVERY 02 sensor code known to man. I mean everyone of them(not the rears, they are gone) I checked the wiring, cleaned the 02 sensors and it randomely does this. I also cleaned my MAF and checked all wires, plugs/wires have less than 7k on them. Im thinking my PCM(98 style) is getting wet. I will be cleaning that area up and buying a cover or making a cover for it.

Any and all ideas will help!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Launching!

The 02s are getting wet some how. Had this same problem, I just got the Bosch 13111. No need for extensions or cutting of wires with them. This fixed my problem, so you might want to give it a try.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

same thing happened to me once. water was somehow getting into the connection from the 02 sensor to the extension. Check to see if the seal isnt damaged
Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by go-t
The 02s are getting wet some how. Had this same problem, I just got the Bosch 13111. No need for extensions or cutting of wires with them. This fixed my problem, so you might want to give it a try.
Originally Posted by snkeater
same thing happened to me once. water was somehow getting into the connection from the 02 sensor to the extension. Check to see if the seal isnt damaged
Ive already done this from the start lol...

it ALWAYS happens when I open the hood when its raining so I thought it could the the pcm so i took the connectors and pcm apart and anally cleaned and used GM dielectric grease. It seemed to wake the car back up but the idle is still messed up a bit. I will redo the o2 connectors again and this time try and find a way to waterproof them.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is doing the same **** and I can't drive it Someone told me it could be the spark plugs that need to be changed. I don't feel like changing them if it's not the problem because I just replaced my old ones a little over a year ago. Any ideas guys???
Old 01-23-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Good news!!!!! Rain stopped here this morning and the sun came out. Started the car and she drove just fine. Guess something in the undercarriage got wet Something has to be getting wet OP. Good luck!!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Here is what needs to happen guys. You need electrical cleaner and a whole tub of GM dielectric grease( i get a discount, it works better than autozone crap IMO) Take off the pcm connectors, clean and grease, take off the o2 sensor connectors, clean and grease. Now here is the biggie that I found the problem and will be dealing with better at a later time.
(this isnt a ls1.. but it works)

See where the wires go into the rubber on the 02 sensor? Mine has bare wire exposed if you barely move them. I cleaned the 02 sensors and applied grease ALL over that area and then sealed it up with heat shrink tubing. VERY LARGE and then put spark plug sleeves over them. I didnt see any sign of the connector having water in it, but we will see when it rains next. I also bought a PCM cover that prevents water from touching the pcm.

Edit: It runs exactly the way it first did after it relearned after a full tuneup and header install.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

HMMMM?
that just gave me an idea of what to try with my heated 3 wire O2 on my 3rd gen....everytime i clean/wash the motor i keep forgetting about the connecting on the O2 and it gets wet or gets water inside the weatherpack and somehow shorts out the O2 where it doesnt read correctly anymore and cause the car not to run good at all....and the air/fuel gauge freaks out and wont read right.
then i have to find a way to get a new one from AZ...this has happened 3 or 4 times already.

im wondering if i was to put some of the grease in between the connecting and possibly put some heat shrink would that cure my problem?

do the O2 still read OK with all the die electric grease in the pack?

thanks for the tip.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
HMMMM?
that just gave me an idea of what to try with my heated 3 wire O2 on my 3rd gen....everytime i clean/wash the motor i keep forgetting about the connecting on the O2 and it gets wet or gets water inside the weatherpack and somehow shorts out the O2 where it doesnt read correctly anymore and cause the car not to run good at all....and the air/fuel gauge freaks out and wont read right.
then i have to find a way to get a new one from AZ...this has happened 3 or 4 times already.

im wondering if i was to put some of the grease in between the connecting and possibly put some heat shrink would that cure my problem?

do the O2 still read OK with all the die electric grease in the pack?

thanks for the tip.
Yes, that is what it is for

Search this Thread