Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure sender info

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure sender info

I would like to put an oil pressure sensor on my LQ4 and I just saw this on another thread: http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...1&postcount=88

my questions are:
does the PCM need any type of signal from the oil sender shown for proper operation? (my project involves a bone stock 2002 LQ4 with stock wiring and fuse box)

what type of signal is produced by this sender? the one on my engine just has 1 lead it it, could I just hook up an aftermarket electrical gauge to it?

Come to think of it I also need a water temp gauge, what type of signal dioes its sender produce?

thanks

Last edited by jetback73nova; 01-21-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 2002 PCM does not need the oil pressure at all. Yank it and replace it with the sender of your choice. The lq4 sender produces a variable resistance output, just like most other senders, but I don`t know if it matches the resistance range of any of the aftermarket gauges.

The temp sender is much the same on an LQ4, except that the PCM does need the temp sender. The PCM puts out a temp signal, but its useless to us because it is a serial data signal. And I don`t know of anyone who has successfully tapped into the signal between the sensor and PCM.

You could switch to a 98 temp sender which has a 2nd output to go to a gauge, but I don`t know if that output would be the same resistance range as the gauge you are using. Bottom line is that its easier to put a second temp sender in the extra hole in the pass side head.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That completely answered my question, Thank you

I will try to find a 98 temp sender.