Sponsored by:

Locations of LS1 dyno tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locations of LS1 dyno tuners?

Hi guys.

As far as I know, I am the only guy ever to lose power after a LT header and off-road y-pipe install. My trap was 109 mph bone stock, and I am now trapping at 105 with these mods: airlid, K&N, MAF ends, bellows, LT headers, off-road pipe & o2 sims, and Corsa cat-back. The biggest loss in trap speed came right after the header install.

During a pass, I had a Diablo Predator scanner hooked up, and I saw this:
FT: 10% positive @ WOT
O2: 965 mV @ WOT

So I know I am running rich, and with the majority of people I have talked to, the general consensus is that I need a simple tuning to square me away.

So, my question is if anyone knows of a well respected LS1 tuner in the Detroit area. I can't imagine this should be difficult, but I haven't heard of any or had any luck finding one on the internet. Anywhere in southern Michigan - east or west - would be fine. Also, I will be headed down to Florida for spring break, so any place that is within reasonable distance from I-65 or I-75 all the way down would be ok too.

I NEED to get this straightened out. I am definitely the ONLY person I know of who has ever LOST power from a header install

Thanks for the help.

Jay
Old 12-22-2003, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay02LS1ws6
Hi guys.

As far as I know, I am the only guy ever to lose power after a LT header and off-road y-pipe install. My trap was 109 mph bone stock, and I am now trapping at 105 with these mods: airlid, K&N, MAF ends, bellows, LT headers, off-road pipe & o2 sims, and Corsa cat-back. The biggest loss in trap speed came right after the header install.

During a pass, I had a Diablo Predator scanner hooked up, and I saw this:
FT: 10% positive @ WOT
O2: 965 mV @ WOT

So I know I am running rich, and with the majority of people I have talked to, the general consensus is that I need a simple tuning to square me away.

So, my question is if anyone knows of a well respected LS1 tuner in the Detroit area. I can't imagine this should be difficult, but I haven't heard of any or had any luck finding one on the internet. Anywhere in southern Michigan - east or west - would be fine. Also, I will be headed down to Florida for spring break, so any place that is within reasonable distance from I-65 or I-75 all the way down would be ok too.

I NEED to get this straightened out. I am definitely the ONLY person I know of who has ever LOST power from a header install

Thanks for the help.

Jay
Detroit Speed, now called something else (can't remember). They just merged with Dan Millen under a new shop.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Reckless
Detroit Speed, now called something else (can't remember). They just merged with Dan Millen under a new shop.

They are now part of Livernois Motorsports in Dearborn Heights MI 313-561-5500
Old 12-22-2003, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help guys. But... I gave Livernois a call, I spoke with Greg, and now I am even more confused than ever!

He told me that he gives it 10 to 1 odds that what is causing me to lose the horsepower is the MAF ends I installed... he said they may be causing me to run lean! Lean???? I thought the scanner told me I was pig rich...

So now I am all messed up. I'll run you guys through my scenario:
Completely stock, I trapped at 109 mph (on a cloudy, low 60 degree day).

Then, I added an MTI high flow airlid, TByrne MAF ends, and SLP bellows. On an 85 degree day, my trap was in the high 109's... one was even a 109.98.

Next, I put on a Corsa cat-back. I didn't go back to the track right away, but I thought I felt a bit of a kick in the seat of the pants afterwards (possibly just a placebo, no doubt). After that, I took off the factory manifolds, installed PPC long tube headers, off-road y-pipe and O2 sims. My next trip to the drag strip was a disaster. My trap speed had fallen to 105 mph. The car feels like it surges when it hits 2000 RPM, and feels like it flattens out around 4700...

So what advice can you guys give me? Am I running rich because of the headers? Or lean because of the MAF ends? I have had so many people tell me so many different things, that I am truly at a loss right now... just when I thought I was sure of how I could fix things, I call the tuner and he tells me a tuning would likely be a waste of my money.

HELP!
Old 12-22-2003, 05:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your MAF ends probably account for the +10% LTFTs
locking in at WOT (because they skew the MAF lean).
Then, you put that +10% to the enriched WOT mixture
(which stock tune already commands to 12.0:1) and
oink, oink, oink.

Headers are said to make LS-1s run richer too (though
experiences vary). So bad to worse, maybe.

You want tuning. If that Predator is for your car and
not just a loaner, you might get custom tunes out
of the place that sold it to you, for free. The mods
are not so substantial that they ought to have
difficulty making you one.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your not the only one to lose HP..On my setup I lost 10hp till I tuned in the MAFT(no edit then)After that I gained 30hp.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TA Jack
They are now part of Livernois Motorsports in Dearborn Heights MI 313-561-5500
TA Jack, I notice you are from Waterford... I grew up in Clarkston.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for your help guys.

So my plan of attack is to re-install the factory MAF ends, and then go get it tuned. Sound like a plan?
Old 12-23-2003, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jay02LS1ws6
Thanks for your help guys.

So my plan of attack is to re-install the factory MAF ends, and then go get it tuned. Sound like a plan?
Jay,

Let me know how your tuning goes!

I talked to the guys from Livernois Motorsports at Dreamcruise, they seem to "have a clue" .... nice guys too.

Our first house after getting married was in Waterford & our second house was in Clarkston ..... so there...

Gordon
PPC
Old 12-24-2003, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by M3EATER
Jay,

Let me know how your tuning goes!

I talked to the guys from Livernois Motorsports at Dreamcruise, they seem to "have a clue" .... nice guys too.

Our first house after getting married was in Waterford & our second house was in Clarkston ..... so there...

Gordon
PPC

I'll definitely keep you informed. How did things work out with that Brighton guy? I haven't heard anything from him...
Old 12-25-2003, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

you're running rich its just that simple. Come to Norris Motorsports if you're gonna be in Florida he can tune you with edit and on his wideband dyno.
Take 75 to the Turnpike to Highway 50.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

I sent him your info, Jay...

I haven't heard from him either.

Thanks!

Gordon
PPC
www.provenperformanceconcepts.com