Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling the throttle body nessecary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilling the throttle body nessecary?

Right now Im running a baby comp 220-224, and ill be upgrading next week to a comp 232/234 .594 lift 112.

Do you guys think ill have to drill a bigger hole in the throttle body or will a good tuner be able to make it idle ok ?

Im just asking ahead of time since Ill have the throtle body off this week to do some porting.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

noone drills the TB anymore...if your tuner cant do it there is something wrong with him
Old 01-23-2010, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

It depends on how much air your throttle body is letting through right now. The bigger cam will need a touch more air at idle but work with whatever you have for the current cam. I would be trying to get it to idle properly before making the hole bigger but if it needs more air go for it.

cheers
Old 01-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jerflash
noone drills the TB anymore...if your tuner cant do it there is something wrong with him
Thats what I thought, some of the old school guys I talk to here and there must not know about the new tunning technology
Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jerflash
This.

DO NOT drill your TB hole. There is a process you can use in which you open up the blade using the screw 2-3%, which will aid in better idle quality but drilling the TB hole is a no-no and in most cases makes the car a bigger pain in the *** to get tuned correctly.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had a hard time sometime to idle with my 224-224 cam on ls1, and i had the cran cam tuner for that cam, i must have been max out on my idle air valve, when i put my 236-242 cam and 402cid i could not get it to idle until i seen my idle air valve was max out on a scanner, thats when i drilled my trottle blade until my values were within specs. wish i had figured this out when i had the first combination. if i'm not mistaken i was at 170 counts and i drilled little at a time until i was at 40, i almost trippled the size of the hole, don't forget that i am running a 402 now, needed lot more air to idle
Old 01-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Damian
This.

DO NOT drill your TB hole. There is a process you can use in which you open up the blade using the screw 2-3%, which will aid in better idle quality but drilling the TB hole is a no-no and in most cases makes the car a bigger pain in the *** to get tuned correctly.
Actually you are wrong there. You sometimes need to drill the hole bigger to get the IAC motor within a usable range. I always reccomend to drill the hole til you get it under 100 counts at hot idle, then use the adjustment screw as a fine adjust and reset the tps.

Nick

Quick Reply: Drilling the throttle body nessecary?