Gun experts inside: Subcompacts

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gun experts inside: Subcompacts

Well it seems people are loyal to brands just like they are with cars. I hear some people swearing by Springfields and others say they are poorly built Croatian scrap metal.

I was sold on the Springfield XD Subcompact then had a friend tell me how terrible they are. So I'm looking at the Glock 26 now.

Others say Glock, S&W, H&K, you get the picture. SO what do you recommend?

I'm like the full size Beretta but for concealed carry I want a sub compact.

Last edited by InsomZ; 01-23-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Default Glock

Springfield XD 's are not bad guns and allot of people like how they feel compared to the Glock. But my personal preference is the Glock I have a 27 that I carry most of the time.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Launching!

I love my new FNH FNP-40! Great gun, not subcompact though...
Old 01-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Launching!

have you tried any of the mentioned out? kimber makes a lot of subcompacts.
but maybe you were saying Springfield just solely referencing the XD and not their 1911 line...

i've got bigger hands and the with glock sub's i swear i have two fingers hanging off the bottom. thats with a clip in. i know they make clips with grip extensions built in though.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

To be more specific.. options I'm looking at:

Baby Glock:
http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

Springfield XD SC:
http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=59

Beretta PX4 Storm SC (just like my full size but SC):
http://www.beretta.com/Pistols-Carbi...idc=217&id=855
Old 01-23-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

i like glocks over other guns as well... i personally don't like the 26 unless you have an extension on the mag otherwise your pinky finger has nothing to grip, i would go with a 19 but that's just my preference... i have a 30 and my next one will be a 23... the frame of the 23 is the same as the 19 and 32 so with a simple barrel and mag swap you have 3 different caliber guns in one... springfield makes a good gun but i don't like the safety on the back of the frame so that turned me away from those... the smith and wesson m&p's are really nice pistols as well so you might want to check those out
Old 01-23-2010, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wife and I carry XDs. Hers is a sub compact 9mm. Great weapon! Very acurate and a great running gun. No jams at all through approx 3000 rounds.

Mec
Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Greaseymec
The wife and I carry XDs. Hers is a sub compact 9mm. Great weapon! Very acurate and a great running gun. No jams at all through approx 3000 rounds.

Mec
yeah man i think you can't go wrong with any good name brand gun... the kind of ammo and the cleanliness of the gun is the biggest issue with jams... so basically keep it clean and shoot factory loads through it and you should be a-ok... all of the ones mentioned so far are great guns, just see which one you like the best and feels the most comfortable to you
Old 01-23-2010, 09:19 PM
RCC
On The Tree

When it comes to the polymer pistols (xd,glock,etc) find the one that fits you the best. Me personally would choose springfield over glock as I have never shot a glock that I would own even if it was given to me. my preference lies in 1911 pistols and I own 10 or so. They cannot be beat in accuracy in my opinion.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, people are very opinionated about almost everything.

I got rid of a Glock27 and got an XD40. I didn't have as much accuracy with the Glock and it didn't feel as good in my hand. I'm not saying this to say the Glock is a bad gun. It was very dependable, and my father-in-law shot well with it. It just didn't fit my hands as well. My wife liked the Sig P239, so thats what she has in .40 cal also. If the XD didn't fit my hand so well, I'd probably carry a P239 also.

I highly recommend going to a range and renting the guns you are questioning to see which one you like best. This will also help in determining dependability. For instance, my wife liked the feel of the Sig P250. I researched them online and saw several references about failure to fire. We rented one and both experienced several failure to fires with it. After that experience, the P250s were no longer considered.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

I have the glock 32 357sig and smith&wesson m&p 40 compact. i love the m&p it has the interchangable back strap so it fits my hand perfect
Old 01-24-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

I really wanted a glock 26. Thought it was a great gun till I held it in my hand. I have big hands and like other have said it doesnt fit. Even with the "extended" grip it doesnt give you but another 1/2" of grip. I held the springfiled xd subcompact 9mm and fell in love with it. The extend grip adds alot to the grip and makes it the same as a full size grip. The glock 26 has the finger bump under the trigger guard and I cant get my middle finger between that and the guard so it makes in awkward to hold. I am partial to the xd cause I own one. It is a very accurate and very reliable gun.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Glock Model 30, .45 caliber. It has a large enough handle to grip with all of your fingers and is still small enough to conceal. It's chambered with .45 caliber which packs tons of punch. The sights are also excellent imo.

I've shot both Glock's and Springfield's. I like the look and feel of the Glock's better.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JScamaro
I have a Glock Model 30, .45 caliber. It has a large enough handle to grip with all of your fingers and is still small enough to conceal. It's chambered with .45 caliber which packs tons of punch. The sights are also excellent imo.

I've shot both Glock's and Springfield's. I like the look and feel of the Glock's better.
the 30 does come with an extension on the mag though... without the mag in it's about the same as a 26... i absolutely hated the factory sights, especially when you shoot at night, you can't see **** lol... i ditched mine for some truglo tfo sights and it solved that problem... did you get the factory night sights?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

.45 is a good round if you dont ever like to go to the range and shoot. I would love to have one, but at 20 bucks a box I prefer to shoot a 9 millie.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just bought the Glock 23 in a .40 s&w ive got pretty big hands so SC's are not my thing but this one fits my hand just barely, and coming from a Ruger P97 full size probly doesnt help. I will say with the ruger i felt like i was trying to hide a Howitzer in my coat, but the Glock is much easier to hide while still being comfy to shoot. Im a huge fan of the XD's too.

shoot them all, then buy what feels the most comfortable for you, everybodys different.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

i have never once heard that the XD's are crap.
i have heard that the glock is a better weapon.... but not crap.

Glock and XD's both have a huge aftermarket which is cool.

Im not a beretta fan. I dont like hammers and i dont like thumb safeties.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Glock27 has never jammed on me and it is easy to conceal.
After 9 years the finish is faded and the plastic is smoothed out.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Launching!

I have a springfield xd subcomact 40 and i love it.,
Old 01-25-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

In my research, I have found that most people “like the gun they have”. It seems like Glock, Sig, Springfield and Beretta are the most popular. I noticed Beretta and Sigs had the least amount of bashing from people who owned other brands. It does seem like hand gun discussion is really similar to the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Chrysler debates. Most people acknowledge that the different manufacturers all make quality products. There are a few who are either loyal to one brand (for what reason, I do not know) or had 1 bad experience with 1 of a million guns, so they want to claim the company sucks and can’t build quality weapons.

I have the Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9mm. It's a nice gun and fits in my hand good. I have not fired it yet. I'm a "beginner" when it come to firearms, so I can't really offer any great advice. I know it says, "Gun Experts Inside", but I thought I'd post anyway.

Last edited by -Ross-; 01-25-2010 at 08:39 AM.