Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning A/F w/ new MAFT

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default tuning A/F w/ new MAFT

I've been reading a little about tuning and will continue to do so.

I would prefer the simplest way to tune A/F & timing advance w/out taking a College course or reading from now to doomsday.

anyone on here used the new MAFT?

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/ite...c=050transgen2

also w/ a speed density tune is the MAF removed and is SD desireable for a DD or is this intended for just racing?

Thanks for any helpfull tips from you nice intelligent LSX folks.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MAF tune VS speed density tune debate will go on till the end of time. They both have their good points. As far as a DD is concerned, personally, I think that a MAF tune is best overall, more adaptability. Besides, you have to realize that on our recent OBDII cars, the MAF tune is actually a combo effort; its a MAF/MAP system. The SD stuff is only utilizes the signal from from the MAP sensor for the most part. Both systems also make use of the air temperature. Also, in the past, MAFs were a little small in diameter (like 2.75" OD), now we have 85mm, 90mm, and even 100mm MAFs like I am running. These MAFs flow 900 CFM and above. Lets move on.

My first tuning tools back in 2000/2001 was a MAFT (version 1) and AutoTap. I used ATAP to scan the various engine functions, especially, the LTFTs and FTC. I adjusted the MAFT so that the LTFTs were between 0% and -5% while driving around on the street. Dont forget, there are 16 "drivibility" fuel trim cells (FTCs). You will most likely only visit about 4 or 5 of these FTCs in the course of your driving.

On a chassis dyno with a wide band O2 meter, I would adjust the WOT tune by adjusting that part of the MAFT for WOT (richer or leaner). Also, if I remember correctly, there was a timing adjust also, buts its been a long time.