Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ball joint boot damaged...replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ball joint boot damaged...replacement?

I have a front end setup with MOOG ball joints/tie rods. I noticed that the lower ball joint boots are very cracked. I have the front suspension apart and would like to replace them.

I heard there were energy suspension boots for lower ball joints but I can't find a part number. Can someone give me a link/part number or other options?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, ES doesn't list a grease boot for either the upper or lower b/js on the 4th gen cars. I just had my car apart, putting new shocks/springs on it, and found my upper b/j boots were torn. I went to the ES site, checked their boot dimension chart for a boot that was close to what I needed, and made it work. I don't, however, know what the diameter of the body is of the lower joint, so I can't help any more than that....
Old 01-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do most people just replace the whole ball joint when the boot goes bad? The ball joint is pretty stiff, so I'd rather just replace the boot if possible.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my STOCK ball joints with torn boots because I couldn't verify how long they had been torn, nor could I regrease them if I had been able to install new boots. That being said, I just replaced them in October/November of last year...if my boots are cracked already, I'm gonna be pissed

You might just take the boot and go to an auto parts store (if you can get it off). I replaced one of my tie rod boots this way during the same time frame.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The tie rod boots are easy to replace, and Energy Suspension even shows a p/n for the 4th gen F-bodies. However, neither they, nor Prothane, nor Daystar show an applicable part number for the ball joints.

As I said, I used one of the ES boots (p/n 9-13105) for my upper joints. These boots will fit over the body and stud of a 4th gen upper b/j, however they're "too short" for the spindle to hold them in place. To solve that, I cut a 1/4" "slice" of 1/2" ID fuel line, slid it over the stud after installing the boot, and now the spindle will hold the boot in place, with the hose acting as a "shim".

The only thing to do, with respect to the lowers, is to remove the current boot, measure the OD of the b/j and stud, and go to the sizing chart on ES's website.

Quick Reply: Ball joint boot damaged...replacement?