Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing BCM

Old 01-24-2010, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing BCM

I need to replace the BCM in my 98 TA going to buy a new one , and I was wondering anybody have any recomendations on where to get one and when i get it will it need to be flashed like a pcm, because i know there is something like 16 different resistances for VATS and i dont want to bypass it.

3hrs and all this just so i can have some god damn interior lights
Old 01-24-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM parts dept,yes it will need to be flashed after it is installed.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

No, it does not need to be flashed (in fact, it can't be flashed).

A new BCM (from the dealer) will automatically program itself to the first ignition key used. Just install it then put your key in the ignition and turn it on.

A used BCM can not be reprogrammed. If you install a used BCM you will either have to hope you're lucky enough to get one that had the same key resistance value (a 1 in 14 chance - there are 15 VATS values but only 14 were ever used in f-bodies) or you'll have to bypass the VATS.

I suppose if you have enough money, you could get new ignition keys cut to match your existing key but using blanks for each of the different resistance values...

Another option would be to get the key and ignition cylinder that matches the used BCM you buy (if you can).
Old 01-24-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

A new BCM (from the dealer) will automatically program itself to the first ignition key used. Just install it then put your key in the ignition and turn it on.

A used BCM can not be reprogrammed. If you install a used BCM you will either have to hope you're lucky enough to get one that had the same key resistance value (a 1 in 14 chance - there are 15 VATS values but only 14 were ever used in f-bodies) or you'll have to bypass the VATS.

I suppose if you have enough money, you could get new ignition keys cut to match your existing key but using blanks for each of the different resistance values...

Another option would be to get the key and ignition cylinder that matches the used BCM you buy (if you can).
ive never replaced a bcm in a fbody but i was a tech for gm for 4 years and whenever i had to replace a bcm it had to be flashed using gm's online server using the tech2.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Ive dealt with this myself.. had a writeup made... works great. I will post the link in a sec.

EDIT: here you go. https://ls1tech.com/forums/10726798-post7.html

If you know the value of the key that matches the BCM, you can just pop in a resistor chip and you are good to go. If you don't know, then just drive to a GM dealership, install it right then and there, and have them come out and plug their silly tester into the car and find out what chip you need.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a bcm from a 98 camaro z28 with keyless entry, let me know if your interested
Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

im gonna go ahead and order one up just did want a surprise when i plug the new one it - like oh **** i gotta take it to the dealer thanks for clearing that up
Old 05-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Default Replacing the BCM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

I am looking to replace my BCM all I find are remanufactured if I get one does that one need to be programed or will it be just like a new..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing BCM