Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t-56 install,

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry t-56 install,

anyone have any tips on getting the tranny to slip right on up and into the belhousing and pressure plate clutch and flywheel assembly, i had about a half inch to go and it wouldn't slip in there! Advice would be very helpful and thankful
Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Banned

If you only about half an inch away from the bellhousing, then you only need to get it in the pilot beaing/bushing, you just have to wiggle it around till it pushes in, make sure your lineup pins are lined up and not hitting on the egde or something like that, another thing you can do is slowly and carefully start a bolt on each side and run them in very little at a time.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Good info Andy ^. Another thing I found that works well with doing this job is just to curse at it, wiggle it around, curse at it some more, wiggle it and eventually it will pop right on. Take this from me who has taken out/reinstalled my T56 8-9 times now.

Also If you choose to try and get some of the bolts threaded on and just pull the trans towards the bellhousing be very careful. If it does not feel like it wants to go do not force it. Pull it slowly and if you keep pulling and pulling and its not lining up, do not force it. Just retry option A.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Try wiggling the engine and the trans at the same time - it finally worked for me. I was wiggling and adjusting the trans by itself without messing with the engine for a looooong time.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info guys, i will try this tomorrow afternoon, and get back on here to let yall know! pics too...
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

When it was in the car I just got under it and wiggled it around till it went in. Yea it takes a sec.

The latest time I did it, I installed it the easy way..

Old 01-25-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

look at the lineup pins and if they are all coroded up you can take some fine sandpaper and sand them down, other than that just some time and patience. good luck

also no offense to 01 trans-am but i would NOT try that!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are probably getting hung up on the clutch fork. Before you put the trans up and in you need to make sure you have the fork pulled down. When you go to put it up and in, when the trans surface is about a half inch away from the bellhousing you need to push up on the fork and get it into the throwout bearing, then push the trans in the rest of the way.

If you are doing that step right then the clutch disc probably isn't lined up. Check it with a light. Clutch alignment tools are junk, I don't use them. If you have good lighting (a flashlight is fine) and you look straight down the splines in the disc at the pressure plate from 4 different points, you can line it up perfect by the eye. That's my method and they slip right in every time.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

I use a junk Input Shaft as an Alignment Tool.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cody161
also no offense to 01 trans-am but i would NOT try that!!!
You would not try what?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Putting the Bolts in it and using them to suck it forward..no matter how easy.

Personally I don't use the Bolts, I put it on the Pins and seat it flush, then bolt it on.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by the_merv

Personally I don't use the Bolts, I put it on the Pins and seat it flush, then bolt it on.
what he said. pulling it up with the bolts can easi;y put something in a bind.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv

Thats why I said more than once, if it doesnt feel right do not do it. It can help align everything and let it pop on. Option A is wayyy more highly reguarded though
Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

I know..I've used a Bolt or two to get it to sit level, thats about it. I tighten them down after it's on.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another suggestion I may have and dont know if it may help your problem. When I did my last clutch swap for my buddy, I couldnt get the trans. up far enough to even get a bolt in to suck it in if i wanted to. The input shaft was hitting the tip of the pilot bearing but not sliding into it.

Take a floor jack and lift up on the crank, this will angle the motor down to allow you to angle the trans. in better rather than trying do a straight shot. After angling the motor the trans. went right in.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Not Good

Originally Posted by miller456
Another suggestion I may have and dont know if it may help your problem. When I did my last clutch swap for my buddy, I couldnt get the trans. up far enough to even get a bolt in to suck it in if i wanted to. The input shaft was hitting the tip of the pilot bearing but not sliding into it.

Take a floor jack and lift up on the crank, this will angle the motor down to allow you to angle the trans. in better rather than trying do a straight shot. After angling the motor the trans. went right in.
This is a bad idea to use the crankshaft like that, unless maybe your motor mounts are shot and the motor moves up and down extremely easy, it is just bad idea to use the crankshaft as a leverage point, put the jack somewhere else possibly on the oil pan with a 2x4 for cushion.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lizeec
This is a bad idea to use the crankshaft like that, unless maybe your motor mounts are shot and the motor moves up and down extremely easy, it is just bad idea to use the crankshaft as a leverage point, put the jack somewhere else possibly on the oil pan with a 2x4 for cushion.

completely agree.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I should have clarified, the car I did the motor mounts were shot and the motor would move extremely easy and once the weight of the trans was on the motor it lifted the crank off the jack which had a 2x4 on it. You could pick somewhere else more stable, the point was maybe he cant get it in because the angle isnt quite there and just a suggestion to get a better shot at it.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clean and lube the dowels. you'd be surprised at how much that helps.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

I need help also rebuilt T56 new spec clutch reinstalled tranny tight clearance I had to kinda go in nose first tilt it up then level out the back finally got it in until about 1/2 inch, then it wouldn't go in any more! started the bolts in and worked and wiggled it in.. apparently this bent my clutch disk, it is now back out, and I have nothing under the motor just hangs there, if only I could get the back of the engine to drop, then I would have a much better angel! Is is it hanging up on the exhaust? I have a 94 camaro with the LT1 in it