Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband on Boat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wideband on Boat?

Anyone mounted a wideband on a boat? The exhaust manis are wet so it won't work correct? The exhaust goes out through the out drive under water.

This is my old volvo/penta 280. I want to switch to fuel injection but this is confusing me.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this thread is kinda old, but you never got an answer.

You can.

Actually if its stock water cooled manifolds, the manifold is water jacketed. The water isn't introduced into the exhaust stream until the exhaust riser (usually the elbow bolted to the manifold). Somewhere I've even seen an aftermarket riser that is threaded for an EGT or wideband (before the water is introduced in the riser).
Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Most proper marine engine calibration is done outside the boat on an engine dyno. This eliminates the concern with water damage to the UEGO (wideband). Remember that even water introduced slightly downstream of the sensor can still have an effect due to reversion from the scavenging pulses. Not only can the water skew the Oxygen content reading, but it can also crack the sensor if liquid water droplets come into contact with the hot ceramic element of the UEGO.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbolx
Most proper marine engine calibration is done outside the boat on an engine dyno. This eliminates the concern with water damage to the UEGO (wideband). Remember that even water introduced slightly downstream of the sensor can still have an effect due to reversion from the scavenging pulses. Not only can the water skew the Oxygen content reading, but it can also crack the sensor if liquid water droplets come into contact with the hot ceramic element of the UEGO.
http://howellefi.com/customer/produc...cat=285&page=1
Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbolx
100% correct

i have found that even with the water entering 6in down stream it effects the readings,

i try and disconnect the water if at all possible

Dale

Quick Reply: Wideband on Boat?