View Full Version : car is making a noise! UGH!!!

SS GIRL
12-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Ok, I think I started a post here a while back but let me refresh your memories.... :cry:

the is like a whining noise, it isn't really squeeky, just like a high pitched whining noise.... you can hear it very loud inside the car and outside as well.... well i figured out that the noise comes out of the exhaust tips.... ????????????????????

ok.... it only does it when i turn the car on.... it stops when i rev up but when the RPMs go back down the noise comes on.... the noise continues until i get up to about 40-45.....it won't do it the rest of that driving trip until i turn the car on again.....

what could be the problem???? :bomb:

1RawTA
12-22-2003, 01:15 PM
The noise is coming from the exuast tips? thats akward, maybe it is some part of the exuast vibrating aganist something.. im really stumped here, i dont know waht it could be

SS GIRL
12-22-2003, 01:19 PM
well see ok.....

i was just trying to locate where the noise was originating from..... i bent down by the right back passenger tire and was looking under the car and literally the noise does come out of the exhaust???????????

dont know anything about it..... and it just started doing it one day, never had any problems with the car or anything, and im not getting any codes......

1RawTA
12-22-2003, 01:22 PM
maybe u broke the chambers in the muffler, hit me up on aim if u want? im trying to think waht it can be

SS GIRL
12-22-2003, 01:24 PM
how do those break?? i mean what could i have done to break them?

SS GIRL
12-22-2003, 01:25 PM
i am at work and dont have aim here.... :(

runningta
12-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Are you shure its not coming frim the fuel pump. I had a 98 z with a loud pump kida of a bother at times.

SS GIRL
12-22-2003, 01:28 PM
well i had a friend listen to it because his fuel pump went out.... he said it wasn't the fuel pump.....

2KThunder
12-22-2003, 01:28 PM
Mabye there is a small hole in a pipe causing the air to leak and a high pitched noise is created (like a whistle). Check for any holes and leaks.

SS GIRL
12-22-2003, 01:31 PM
my boyfriend does keep telling me he thinks its the exhaust, but he wont ever check it..... i guess i will bring it into a shop sometime after christmas :( :( :(

demonspeed
12-22-2003, 01:38 PM
How about the belt tensioner?

SS GIRL
12-22-2003, 01:41 PM
sorry but i have no idea what belt tensioner is.....

and could it be an exhaust leak if it doesn't make the noise constantly???

demonspeed
12-22-2003, 01:43 PM
Like the serpentine belt under the hood...

Mine mad a noise like you are saying when it was going bad.

demonspeed
12-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Exhaust leaks usually sound like "pffft" I suppose. At higher rpms they go away because the exhaust is being pushed hard enough not to escape.

SS GIRL
12-22-2003, 01:48 PM
no the belt is fine.... we have checked that too and its not the problem ughhhhh i hate when something is wrong with my baby :(

Gev
12-22-2003, 05:38 PM
http://www.genmay.com/images/smilies/woowoo.gifhttp://www.genmay.com/images/smilies/woowoo.gif :jest:

WS6FirebirdTA00
12-22-2003, 05:48 PM
so the noise is comming from the right rear area of the car? is there any way u can get a sound clip of it? first thing that came to my mind was the fuel pump. does it make the noise all the time? and when did it start? could be an exhaust leak, check and make sure the exhaust isnt hitting anything cause if it is and hitting other metal it could create the right frequency to make it sound like a loud humming. check where the large collector pipe is and goes over the rear end.

SS GIRL
12-22-2003, 07:14 PM
how do you do a sound clip? what do i have to do? i am dumb

Got Me SOM
12-22-2003, 07:27 PM
LOL just take it to a mechanic. Trying to diagnose what's wrong without seeing it in person is next to impossible on the internet. Its like the blind leading the blind.

WS6FirebirdTA00
12-22-2003, 07:43 PM
if u have a digital camera and can take videos u can email a sound clip to me or someone else so we can hear it

WS6FirebirdTA00
12-22-2003, 07:45 PM
if u get on instant messenger IM me and we can takl about it if you want and i can try to help you out,my sn on there is ws6firebirdta00....the same thing as on here

moeZ28
12-23-2003, 08:11 AM
i am with a few others. i think its the fuel pump. on my 98 Z28 the fuel pump can be so loud sometimes you can hear it over my loudmouth. but its been like that for some time so i dont figure its goin out anytime soon. it just runs loud at times.

slik98z
01-08-2004, 12:11 PM
take it to a muffler shop and have them examine, and tighten down the exhaust if it needs it. if its more of a squeek its highly unlikely imo to be exhaust related. i had a pulley problem and when it started squeeking i could hear it all over the car when i tried to examine the problem. instead of taking it to the shop i went to the dealer picked up a belt tensioner pulley, idler pulley and serpentine belt, and that cured my problem. Oh and i put some silicone spray on each of the pulleys after it stopped squeeking just to make sure they were lubed up. when its cold out, i still get a slightly squeek when i first start up but it goes away after a minute or two when the car is on and warming up.
Good luck, a quick examination of the exhaust is never a bad thing to do. i doubt its exhaust related but if its coming from the rear end for sure, id be willing to bet its more than likely the fuel pump.
~T

SS GIRL
01-08-2004, 12:16 PM
yea a couple of people said it wasn't exhaust related..... my car hasn't been running because my boyfriend "borrowed" some parts for a couple of days....

slik98z
01-08-2004, 12:28 PM
nice boyfriend, did you notify him that we have sponsers to the right ;)
seriously though when you get a chance, check the pulleys, both belts too. i thought my problem was orginiating somewhere out in the back of the car, and after i checked the belts and pulleys, thats where it ended up being. shit orchastrates throughout the entire car.

btw just for the record, a wahman behind the wheel of a F-body = the sexiest thang on earth. i couldn't resist
~T

SS GIRL
01-08-2004, 12:50 PM
btw just for the record, a wahman behind the wheel of a F-body = the sexiest thang on earth. i couldn't resist
~T

:drive:

greekss
01-10-2004, 06:21 AM
I vote u check the belts.....they were the first thing that came to mind