Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stock u-joints won't fit?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Stock u-joints won't fit?!

I bought some u-joints that supposedly were for a 1998 Trans Am and when I tried to install them I find out that they are around 1/2 inch too wide. No time to take them back so I went to Autozone and bought a set of their "brute force" u-joints again for a stock 1998 Trans Am. They too were 1/2 inch larger that would fit in my shaft and yoke. I finally went to carquest with my "old" part ( a spicer solid joint) and find that my driveshaft takes a u-joint that is used on pick-up trucks acording to the parts guy.
The yoke on my aluminum driveshaft has SPICER cast into it. None of the places I went offered any other u-joints for my make and model. I was wondering if there is a possibility my drive shaft was replaced with a different type under some sort of warranty or TSB. There is a 1-12-02 engraved on my driveshaft. I have a 3.23 geared a-4 car.

Anyone know what's going on?
Old 12-23-2003, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well upon installing the driveshaft today I find that one of the new joints are wrong as well. The rear joint isn't as wide as needed to mate up to the pinion. I'm just about sick of playing find the mystery u-joint....

Does anyone have proper part numbers for these damn things?

Quick Reply: Stock u-joints won't fit?!