Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New to ls1. Help me please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to ls1. Help me please!

Ive done a lot of research and ive found out the 12 bolt and the 9 bolt are the best. I think anyway. Ive read alot if you don't have either a 9" or a 12" then your rear ends not as strong as it needs to be. I was going to buy a 4'10 gear but will it be to much for my rear end?? Any help would be thankful! Just trying to figure some things out about it before i buy it.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you buy a 4.10 ratio for your 10 bolt the pinion will be tiny to the ALREADY relatively tiny pinion of other gear sets for the 10 bolt. If you just do normal driving, roll races, auto-x, etc and NO drag launches/power shifting then there is really no sane justification for dropping $2k+ on a new rear. But if you do plan to drag the car, or power shift then it might be in your future. I broke mine power shifting. Either way, general consensus is to run a 4.10/11 gear for an 6 speed and 3.73 for an Auto. But, it still depends on what you want out of the car.